Lid Hanger For 22...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:
All your mods look great D.
Would you elaborate more on your Maverick mount please? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I glued a strong magnet to the back of the Maverick clip so that I could easily mount it to the hopper of my pellet smoker. It worked so well that I wanted to use the magnet on the WSM as well. Problem was, the body of the 22 just gets too hot and heat is the enemy of electronics. A good insulator is wood, so I just fabricated a small block of hardwood and epoxied a piece of 1/8"x3/4 strip stock galvanized steel to it for the magnet to stick to. I screwed that onto the WSM from the inside. Seems to work great that way.

Super slick!
icon_cool.gif

Bravo. Very Nice!
But you know that you cant throw that type of mod out here without a little more info.
icon_smile.gif

What was your choice of material as far as the handle brackets and the lid holder?
And how did you fab them?
Curious minds would like to know.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

Thanks for all the kind words. Art, it ain't.
The handles are Ranch Kettle handles, from Weber. They come with screws to mount. They work great.
For the lid retaining tabs for the egg and the lid holder, I used 1/8 x 5/8" aluminum straight stock. It's light and easy to work with. I didn't use plans or templates...I just eyeballed it all. I used a hammer, vise, hacksaw, square and drill press.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The handles are Ranch Kettle handles, from Weber. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Are they stainless steel?

The metal used for Ranch handles looks like galvanized steel to me. I'm sure they are rust resistant, but if not, they can easily be painted.

Thanks for all nice comments. I just love that we all share our solutions and knowledge. I've learned so much here. Thank you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
Impressive! Now why couldn't Weber think of that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank God weber did not think of that idea, weber would have charged $50 for the lid holder, lol.

Great looking mods. I love them all!
I know I am addicted to smoking, because I am looking for a reason to buy the larger 22 inch smoker! It is only me and my wife that live here! I would love to have the option of doing 4-6 huge racks of spares laying down! My wife would kill me because I already have a small kettle, the large one, the go anywhere charcoal portable (I used this once and it hasn't went anywhere since)! If any of you smoke heads want a FREE go any where come to Muskegon and it is yours!

I want to add a front handle to my 18" just so I can use it for a lid hanger!

Sometime in the next month I have a few of things to do to both of them, and this just got added to the list.

Now to talk Weber into selling me the ranch handles.

Back