Lid doesn't fit on new 22.5

Joe Foderaro

Hey guys I just got my 22.5 WSM in last week. I have done a couple of smokes on it using lump hardwood and its been very easy to maintain temperature. However there are a few issues. Smoke leaks from the door and the lid....a lot of smoke. I can never kill the coals when I close off all the vents.

Now today I just threw some ribs on and decided to use some stubbs briquettes. While putting everything together I noticed my lid doesn't fit at all. I'd say about 1/4 of it sits over the lip of the center section. Since I have food on there there isn't much I can do now. Is it common for the lids to have a poor fit on these things?

measure the lid diameter. You might just find that it is in fact round. If so ... the body is out of shape. Measure that diameter. If the body is out of shape, just tweak it back in to round so that is is even all the way around.

Some leakage is normal, especially at the beginning. The more you cook, the more it will seal.

Sounds like your lid or top section is out of round. Measure it, and carefully put pressure on the wide spots and you should be able to get it back into round.

As "Gerd H" said, some leakage is normal and over time it will gunk up and leak less.

Good luck,

Bob

I think I will call weber in the AM. My cook went ok. I used duct tape to seal the gaps on the lid because without it the temps were starting to climb too high. I cant bend this back into shape as it just makes it out of round in another section. It seals right up to the lip of the mid section all the way around except for where its pictured not fitting

523b5ded.jpg

Definitely out of round. Set the lid down on a flat surface and see if it sits flat. (be careful if the rim is greasy, it ill leave a ring).
Did you buy a new one or was it previously owned?

Sounds like you bought it new. Call Weber Customer Service they will take car of it for you. Just a few days ago someone else on here had the same problem. You're door needs adjustment too.

If new you just gotta call Weber CS. After you give them measurements they will probably send you out a new middle section and/or a lid as well!! Weber loves us and wants us to be happy!! They will make it right. I would then suggest to get ahold of Cajun Bandit and get one of their SS doors...with just a little tweaking they are darn near air-tight, they are heavier gauge and look darn nice to boot....just my 2 cents..............

Just received a replacement lid today. Call them last thursday and it showed up tuesday....pretty darn quick. The new lid is super tight and very hard to get off so I am one happy camper now.

So it was the lid and not the mid section? My lid didn't fit, but it was an out of round and poorly shaped "lip" on the mid section. See me write up on this board. Weber did it right for me too (haven't received replacement yet). The problem with the lid too tight, is how do you pull it off mid-cook without it holding onto the middle section?

Tony I think I got the same problem you have. I just tried out my replacement lid for the first time with the thing fired up....the lid will not come off at all. When I lift on the lid the whole middle section lifts up. Thankfully I was only doing a break in procedure and didnt have food on it. I guess I will call weber tomorrow to get a new middle section. I can see its getting caught on a slightly out of round lip.

Well after a quick phone call to weber and using the jaws of life to get the lid off we believe the problem is the middle section as well. The first lid I received with my initial purchase definitely was too large. I asked weber what I should do with that. I definitely don't need the lid and maybe they can recycle it somehow. They are going to pick up the original lid and send out a new center section. I have to say I am very pleased with their service.

Back