Lets Have A Discussion About Pellet Grills

Victor,
I also thank you for your helpful information about pellet grills. I have never even used one, so I am definitely no expert. On Rec Tec, I agree that they are in the lower tier, albeit as you say at the top of it. What I think seems to set them apart is that they DO use more and more 304 stainless construction, they have a well regarded controller and they have a family business focused on enthusiastic customer service. I would love to have their “Bull” model which would be all I think I would ever need for that type of grill. Lay out six racks of ribs and come back five hours later and enjoy!

2i40mo.jpg

I do agree with you that there are limits to what you can expect a pellet grill (or gas grill, or charcoal smoker) to be able to do. I think the manufacturers would do well to stop trying to claim they can sear well or making “combination” grills that probably aren’t the best at either purpose. They are GREAT at low n slow barbecue with low level of anxiety on the part of the chef. I know they work because in the only professional barbecue contest I was involved with, virtually every pro winner used a pellet grill.

Hey Jon,

I almost went Rec-Tec due to the price difference, plus the fact that any small business owners who are willing to publish their personal cel phone numbers and offer to let you call them 24/7 must be very customer-service oriented and have great confidence in their product. (Never even heard of that before.) However, my research indicated that Chinese 304 stainless is nowhere near as good as North American, usually of lighter gauge and somewhat subject to rust and corrosion. (As also evidenced in most Chinese BBQs.) Plus, Mak also has a stellar reputation for customer service and it's built like a tank. So, it finally kind of came down to the "cry once" scenario. Basically. I didn't want to spend $1000-1500 only to find out what I really wanted was a $3000 box.

I also went with in with the idea of doing multiple racks of ribs and bought the six rack stand, but that was a mistake, as I've never had the opportunity to do that big of a cook (and probably never will). If necessary, you can easily do four racks between the top and bottom grates on most units. (Wanna' buy a new, never-used Mak rib rack?)

On the "all things to all people" marketing, I too wish they would quit doing that. I tried the Mak "sear zone" it came with once and ordered the solid drip pan the next day. I will say though, besides its smoking capability, the most useful thing on a Mak 2 Star is the side warming tray (which is intended primarily as a cold smoker). Don't know of any others that have it. It's so useful in being able to do a large cook of multiple items on both grills that come off at different times and just throw them together in a big ole' roasting pan sitting in a holding box running around 170°.

Welp, time go now. The ribs are ready for sauce and gotta' get the chicken & links going on the Weber. Oh, the sacrifices we must make in life, huh?

Take Care!

Victor

I have a MAK two star general production # 210 built like a tank with the best materials in the USA. Yes if you buy new you're going to spend about 3,000 but buy a good used unit and you'll be set for many years. My MAK is for sale (the boss says to many cookers) at a very fair price for a great cooker. $1,200 if interested PM me.

Bill

If anyone is looking for a great smoker, Bill W's price is not only fair, it is, in fact, (excuse the pun) an absolutely smokin' good deal. If Bill hasn't done so already, Mak has incorporated some improvements since #210 (particularly to the ignitor & software), but they are easily retrofitted and reasonably priced (or likely free for the software).

Seriously folks, if anyone near S.D. wants a dedicated smoker, you'll never find better quality for less money.

Thanks Victor, you are absolutely correct it is a "Smoking good deal" and an even better cooker. Oh, and there are extras that go with the MAK like twin top shelf, flame zone, cover, and in pristine condition.

Bill

Hey Bill,

If I didn't already have one, I'd make the 10 hour drive down there to get it. Just FYI, a later serial no. (can't remember exactly, but it was near my 3293) sold on Sacramento Craigslist recently for $2400. Wouldn't think you'd have too hard a time getting $1500-2000 from one of those 15M+ in SoCal who understands what you've got - and they'd still be getting a bargain. Best of luck and hope it goes to someone who appreciates it!

Victor

Back