Length of time for Butt Rub?

Ray Edwards

TVWBB Member
Hi,

I am going to do my first pork butt tomorrow. I picked up a nice 7.58 butt tonight. I am planning on using the rub below, which is from the cooking section of the site here.

I have a question about the length of time for refridgeration with the rub on the meat. The instructions with this rub said to rub and
refridgerate for 8 to 12 hours. I was planning on rubbing tonight around 12. With that, it may be up to 14 or 16 hours before I can get back tomorrow and get it on the smoker. Would that be to long? Should I wait and rub it in the morning and only have around 7 hours of sit time?

Thanks in advance, ...Ray

Southern Succor Rub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
2 Tablespoons table salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

I've rubbed them right before putting them on and they come out fine. Very forgiving piece of meat.

I would not think that there is anything there that will seriously effect the taste either way with a 14 hour refridgeration or a 7 1/2 hour fridge.

The other thing I would say is don't use iodized table salt what ever you do, I like either sea salt (you can pick fine , medium and coarse sea salt up in most grocery stores) or Kosher salt for my rubs.

I to have slathered with mustard, applied rub and had the meat on the wsm inside 20 minutes, as Claude said it is very forgiving meat.

You shouldn't have any problem Ray with refrigerating it that long. The butt is very forgiving piece of meat and there's nothing in that rub that's going to hurt it. If it was me I'd probably dust it again before putting it on the smoker.

Thanks. I'll be putting it on the bullet shortly
icon_wink.gif

Meat is on now. I am using a foil wrapped terra cotta planter base in the water pan. I think it was a 14" planter saucer.I put a full ring of lump in with 4 hickory chunks. I then added a full cimney o lit on top. Grate temp is 325. I have some pics, but will have to figure out the best way to post them.

Mmmmmm, the smoke smells so good. Plan is to cook tonight and eat tomorrow. By then, the smoke saturation I am getting will be gone and I can taste the results better
icon_smile.gif

I normally apply a light-dusting of rub the night before. IMO, rubbing right-before the smoke gives the meat too much of a rub favor and not a pork favor. Also, most rubs have some-kind of sugar in it, rubbing the night before gives the sugar enough time to -as Emeril would say- get happy ;o)

If it is a high salt content rub, some even say pork will take on a "hammy" flavor if left to sit overnight.

Back