Leg Rust help

Scott Rispaud

Hey folks, this is my first post after finding some really helpful tips on the site. I just scored a Genesis 310 that is in really good shape. The biggest issue I will be dealing with is the rust on the bottom of the two front legs which is also where the door bracket is as well. I would really appreciate some input on this repair. Also, the end caps on the two shelves need to be, maybe painted? The bottom plate where the tank goes had some surface rust that he owner had quickly wire brushed and spray painted with Rustoleum. I'd like to make that look better also. Thanks everyone.SS Genesis 4.jpgSS Genesis 3.jpgSS Genesis 2.jpgSS Genesis 1.jpg

Last edited:
Scott: Welcome to the forum.
The problems you are dealing with are pretty common on these grills. It is a little hard to tell, but it does not look like the bottom panel and side/back panels are in too rough of shape unless it is all hidden by a quick repaint by the previous owner. I would certainly pull the bottom panel and check it and the sides and back where they meet for rust and then clean them up correctly and repaint. The paint you will want to use is Rustoleum Farm & tractor in Massey Furgeson Gray. It is the closest match known to the regular Weber gray. It is very close. It can be used on both the cabinet and the shelf end caps. Make sure you do the prep work on both places before repainting.

The other issue of the legs rusting out. That is a bit tougher fix. If it is not so bad that the structure of the legs is compromised, then you can probably just clean those up and repaint as well. Prepping with a good rust reformer/encapsulator is probably a good idea. POR15 and Eastwood rust reformer is another popular one.

Good luck and keep us informed of how things go and when you have more questions, feel free to ask. Lots of guys have already dealt with these same issues already.

Thank you for the reply Bruce. Aside from the pics above the entire grill is in excellent shape. The front legs are the main issue as you can see, there is not much left supporting the front of the grill. Everything else is easy. I don't know if the side frames can be replaced or if I can have new material welded on. It would also require the door bracket to be replaced where it pivots. The interior bottom shelf could use a little TLC as the owner did a nasty fasty on it but maybe someone knows what the part number is and I could just replace it. Thanks again

Scott, I do beleive you can still purchase the bottom panels from Weber. I think they are about $70. But, if the bottom panel is or was in rough shape, the rust tends to hit the bottoms of the side and back panels as well. That is something to check on.

I really don't know what to tell you about the legs. It seems like it would be a pretty extensive fab job to cut them out and replace them with welded in material. I hate to say it, but a donor grill might be your best bet.

Bruce,
Unfortunately, I think what he is needing are the two side frame pieces. That would almost certainly be too pricey to justify.

I don't have the metal skills that some members here do. My guess is that the most likely way of trying to implement an actual repair would be to get metal sleeves made that will go over the existing frame legs. You also have the front door hinges to deal with, so that might be challenging. It is really unfortunate that Weber designed the frame so that the whole side panel and both legs are all welded into one integrated piece. I guess that is nice while it is all new, but this aspect of these grills makes buying replacement parts way too costly.

If you can weld, or have access to reasonable priced welding, maybe someone could cut out the bad metal and weld-in replacements, including re-attaching the door hinge bottoms.

Back