Left Handed Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Wiviott

TVWBB Member
Morning all,

In the 'Select Grade Brisket Dry?' thread reference was made to left handed briskets being a bit more tender than right. Chris A posted a pointer to 'The Tale of the Left Handed Brisket', which I read.

In the Tale of the Left Handed Brisket Connie Baker of team 'Lil' Pit of Heaven' is quoted as saying, "with the fat side down, on a left-handed brisket, the point will curve to the right."

The problem with this statement, if one takes the left hand tender theory at face value, is that Connie Baker does not say which end of the brisket to orient the curve from. For example, if the point (deckle) end of a packer cut brisket is closest to you the brisket will curve one way and if the flat end (lean) is closest to you it will curve the other.

Am I being a bit too analytical, is this simply a BBQ 'Tale' that has gained a bit of momentum? The thing is, like most good stories, there seems to be a grain of truth, that is if the resting habits of cows are accurately reported.

Regards

Smoking in Chicago,
Gary (who may be taking Left Handed Briskets a bit too seriously)

Well,
Up here in NY, pretty far from Oil Wells and Big Cow's, our cattle only have one brisket. So, now what?

Jim

Jim,

Only one brisket? Hummm, might be due to the fact that you are in NY. I have heard stories about men meeting attractive women in NY bars and the next morning they wake up with a pain in their side and only one kidney. Possibly this is what is happening to your NY cattle. <Smile>

Actually, that most likely has as much credibility as the 'Tale of the Left Handed Brisket' yesterday might have been a good day to sell me a bridge. Is the Brooklyn Bridge still available?

Regards

Smoking in Chicago,
Gary

Ahh Gary,
You know I was just pokin some fun at ya. For the folks that don't know, Gary is one heck of a great BBQ'er, out of Chicago.
He is surely on a quest, to produce the most luscious, moist, flavorful brisket know to mankind.
He travels all about Texas, visiting every BBQ joint, on his path, tasting and sampling, looking for hints, to reproduce the, holy grail.
I'm quite sure, that if there was any validity to the left hand brisket theory, he would uncover it and use it for future exploits.
No bridges for sale here Gary, just trying to enjoy friendships and the lore, of great tasting bbq.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the kind words, that was so nice that even though I only offered you $25 for the complimentary welcome, I will send you $50.

Thanks again for the welcome.

The Czechoslovakia is in the mail.

Regards

Smoking in Chicago,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back