Lebanese Stuffed Cabbages

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
As soon as I saw this in this months cooking mag., I knew DH would want to make it. I hope you will also. On the menu for this week.

12 cabbage leaves
1 cup canned garbanzo beans/chickpeas, rinsed, drained
1 small onion, chopped]
1/2 cup cooked rice
1/2 bunch fresh parsley, minced
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tsp. Lebanese seven-spice blend (Baharat)
1 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 lb. ground beef
4 cups water
1/2 cup lemon juice
4 garlic cloves, minced
lemon slices, optional

1. In batches, cook the cabbage in boiling water until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain; cool slightly. Trim thick vein from bottom of each cabbage leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
2. In a large bowl, combine garbanzo beans, onion, rice, parsley, butter, oil, tomato paste and seasonings. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Place about 1/4 cup beef mixture on each cabbage leaf. Pull together cut edges of leaf to overlap; fold over filling.. Fold in sides and roll up.
3. Place in a Dutch oven, seam side down. Add water, juice and garlic. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, until a thermometer inserted in beef reads 160 F. and cabbage is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. If desired, serve with lemon slices.

Source: Taste of Home mag. Feb./Mar. 2021

As soon as I saw this in this months cooking mag., I knew DH would want to make it. I hope you will also. On the menu for this week.

12 cabbage leaves
1 cup canned garbanzo beans/chickpeas, rinsed, drained
1 small onion, chopped]
1/2 cup cooked rice
1/2 bunch fresh parsley, minced
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tsp. Lebanese seven-spice blend (Baharat)
1 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 lb. ground beef
4 cups water
1/2 cup lemon juice
4 garlic cloves, minced
lemon slices, optional

1. In batches, cook the cabbage in boiling water until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain; cool slightly. Trim thick vein from bottom of each cabbage leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
2. In a large bowl, combine garbanzo beans, onion, rice, parsley, butter, oil, tomato paste and seasonings. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Place about 1/4 cup beef mixture on each cabbage leaf. Pull together cut edges of leaf to overlap; fold over filling.. Fold in sides and roll up.
3. Place in a Dutch oven, seam side down. Add water, juice and garlic. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, until a thermometer inserted in beef reads 160 F. and cabbage is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. If desired, serve with lemon slices.

Source: Taste of Home mag. Feb./Mar. 2021
This sounds great. I will have to try this also.

DH wants to make this for today's dinner. I am getting ready to make the spice mix. The recipe says it is a variation of Baharat. Recipe posted if requested.

1612123223527.png

WOW!!!!! It's a little on the hot side. Hope I can handle it. lol

The recipe says it is also great on grilled or roasted chicken. That might be interesting.

TA DA!!!!!!!!!!!!

1612149640565.png

Sorry so late with the results, but had trouble receiving the picture.

Surprising, it wasn't hot at all. The cabbage could have cooked a few more minutes, but all in all, it was very tasty.

Back