Leaving used charcoal in pan

Yes and No. If you keep the WSM covered and no rain water gets into the bowl then no worries. But since the WSM cover is not water proof and if you get heavy rains it does have a tendency to fill up with water. Some put a trash bag over the WSM first before putting the cover on to stop this from happening. Other use seam sealer to seal the seams up on the cover to make it water proof.

Bryan, I have the WSM covered and under my screened in porch. This should be fine, right? Although it rains here every night it seems, and havent been able to get another cook in. Summer in the south...

WSM Under cover no worries.
icon_biggrin.gif

I wouldn't recommend leaving old charcoal in your cooker. More than likely, it's going to pick up moisture over time, so it's not going to burn consistently when you need it.

I live in a very rainy place and I've never had moisture problems yet. The charcoal that's in there right now has been in for almost 3 weeks, it has rained heavily on a number of occasions since then, so I'll be able to confirm this on Saturday.

I keep my WSM inside, and I've never had a problem leaving leftover charcoal in it. You do have to clean out the ash every now and then, though. If you let too much build up, it can be hard to keep the temperature up.

Yea jim, basically what i did was clean the WSM, remove the leftover charcoal, and dumped the ash, then put it back together and placing the leftover charcoal back into the wsm. I live in a 2 story townhouse by myself and dont really have anywhere else to store it. Was hoping this would be ok. Thanks for everyones input!

Paul

Back