Leaving the Rub on too long?

G

I'm going to start smoking some back ribs about 6am for a lunch buffet. The BRITU says to let the rub stay on for 1 to 2 hours before smoking. I don't want to have to get up too early to start, so I would like to rub tonight. Is overnight too long? Thanks all.
Greg

With a salt-containing rub-- like the BRITU-- you risk the meat taking on a "hammy" taste if you leave it on too long.

Doug is right I would put the rub on and put it right on the cooker rather than the night before.
Jim

Thanks guys, you saved me...
icon_smile.gif

Long time reader, first time poster

Thanks to all for participating in such a great board!

Good to see another Spokane person Greg...welcome to the board.

Greg and Ken
We have a competition at Pike Place Market on the 20th and can alway use judges if you would like to come west.
Jim

And if you take Jim up on his judging invitation, please don't penalize any team that does not use "optional" garnish as I hear some teams are considering that.
icon_smile.gif

Yep, Marg and Anna are coming along. We are staying at a hotel nearby with a swimming pool. My friends Paul and Mona (who were at Beaverton) also are coming. Looking forward to it

Man, I'd like to go--if only to hang at Pike Place and go to Sur La Table. Been too long.
Welcome, Ken.

Back