Leaky WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
On my first cook this past Saturday I noticed a leak coming from the bottom of the WSM. On Sunday during cleanup I found it was coming from one of the vents on the Charcoal bowl. It was a brownish liquid, I'm sure it was just the steam and grease that builds up on the inside. Anyone else have this occur? Does it occur because the vent is loose? Any cure ideas?

This is a common occurrence. It's just smoky moisture condensing at the vent and running down the bowl. Nothing you can do to prevent it. It won't happen every time you cook.

Regards,
Chris

The same thing happens on mine early into a cook before the whole unit gets up to temperature. This is especially true during cold weather cooks. It’s due to the moisture released during the cook condensing more easily on the relatively cold exterior. During cooks below zero, some of this gunk will even condense on and around the top vent on mine.

This is normal and there’s no cause for concern. It’s all part of the seasoning process as smoke and other particles build up on the interior of your WSM. Any residue that does find its way out through the vents can be easily removed with a mild household degreasing cleanser.

Enjoy your Bullet!

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back