Lbs. of Kingsford = ? hour burn

Jeff Jocsak

TVWBB Member
I was wondering if anyone has come up with a basic formula to determine how much Kingsford to use per hour of cooking trying to hold grate temps at 225deg.? I know there are variables such as outside temps, wind, volume of meat, etc.

Am I asking too much or is it just a matter of trial and error?

I'm using the minion method.

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Jocsak:
I was wondering if anyone has come up with a basic formula to determine how much Kingsford to use per hour of cooking trying to hold grate temps at 225deg.? I know there are variables such as outside temps, wind, volume of meat, etc.

Am I asking too much or is it just a matter of trial and error?

I'm using the minion method.

Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You kind of answerd your own question.

When I was using old kingsford (haven't smoked with the new...use lump now), a very full ring (around 12 lbs), would last upwards of 20 plus hours in calm conditions.

In breezy conditions, a full ring would still last 15-16 hours easily.

Lump depends on the type used. Royal Oak lump gets me around 12-14 during the winter months (usually a bit breezy), while Wicked Good lump gets 18-19 in the same conditions. Haven't tried either one in the warmer calmer summer months yet.

Others on this board will have different results because of different conditions (outside elements, amount of meat, temps being cooked at, etc).

I did a brisket with new Kingsford with the minion method last weekend started at 10:00 Saturday night, Sunday morning I stirred the coals a little at 9:30. They held 225-250 the whole time no problem.
I did not close the vents when I took off the meat at 3:30 and the last time I looked was 10:00 Sunday night and the WSM was still at 175 at the lid, without anymore air than what it was set at earlier. I don't know how long the old stuff lasted but that is long enough for me.

So the minion method would be just as efficient with a 1/2 full ring given the same conditions?

For example if I was just doing ribs, a 1/2 ring doing the minion method should be close.

I'm just trying to get a better feel for this. I always used a full ring but wasted coals. I know I could reuse them but that would be a pain.

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Jocsak:
So the minion method would be just as efficient with a 1/2 full ring given the same conditions </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not ime. I have even had a difficult time in maintaining adequate temps using a 3/4 full ring with MM. However, I think I could have done it with more lit. It is very exasperating when you're constantly having trouble keeping the temps up. When I have a short cook and don't want left over fuel, I use Standard.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig castille:

When I was using old kingsford (haven't smoked with the new...use lump now), a very full ring (around 12 lbs), </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not busting on you here Craig but a very full ring of kingsford weighs more than 12 lbs, i'm guessing more like 16 - 18 lbs. A full weber chimney of Kingsford weighs 6 lbs and is 100 briqs.
icon_wink.gif

Last week I eyeballed a full ring of old Kingsford, just to the edge of the charcoal chamber. I didn't mound it up and didn't attempt to shake it down to compact things. Just poured it from the bag and weighed it. It was just under 12 pounds.

Lots of variables here, so your mileage will definitely vary.
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Bruce, need a
5.gif
with that?

Round Two:
I'm doing my first new Kingsford run tonight with two pork butts. Slightly heaped chacoal chamber + 15 lit briquettes: 13 lbs. 6 oz.

If new K weighs 90% of old K, then this would be equivalent to 14 lbs. 14 oz. of olk K.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Bruce, need a
5.gif
with that?

Round Two:
I'm doing my first new Kingsford run tonight with two pork butts. Slightly heaped chacoal chamber + 15 lit briquettes: 13 lbs. 6 oz.

If new K weighs 90% of old K, then this would be equivalent to 14 lbs. 14 oz. of olk K.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Like i said in my post above a very full ring of old K (piled high) would be in the 16+ lb range, IMO.
icon_biggrin.gif

Don't make me go out in the backyard with my 24 pound bag of old K and kitchen scale and prove you wrong, Mr. Lump Charcoal man. There's no way it could be 18 lbs.
icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Don't make me go out in the backyard with my 24 pound bag of old K and kitchen scale and prove you wrong, Mr. Lump Charcoal man. There's no way it could be 18 lbs.
icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_smile.gif
I guess it all depends on what your deffenition of a very full ring is, NO?
icon_eek.gif
How high do you pile it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back