Latest Pork Butt cook-first attempt at pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mason

TVWBB All-Star
I finally took some pictures of my BBQin'.
I don't have a website, so I uploaded these to an image hosting service. Unfortunately it doesn't have an album capability. Anyone know of a better one, that allows anyone to view the pics, please let me know.

Pork butts ready for rub

Butts rubbed and ready
I crosscut one of the butts to see if I could get more bark.

WSM fired up

Four hours into the cook

Eight hours into the cook
Mopping the butts. First time I tried this. Usually I just spray with apple juice.

Didn't take pics of the final product. It was four in the morning and was too tired to lift the camera.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Next time I'll time it better.

There you go showing off that really nice WSM caddie again
icon_biggrin.gif

Pics look great! What kind of rub did you use?

"I crosscut one of the butts to see if I could get more bark."

How did it turn out? Was there a noticable diffence?

Kev

John, SHAME ON YOU!! 4am or not, pictures of the final product must be submitted. Lashings shall comense at once!

Man, at 8hrs they were starting to look REALLY good. What did you think about mopping them? Did the cross-cut one have more bark? How did they taste? What's that contraption holding the WSM center section and lid?

So many questions...LET'S EAT!!
icon_biggrin.gif

I sure wish he would answer your questions. I want to know more about that crosscut. Even if it didn't add any noticable amount of bark, it sure did look "purty".

Sorry about no final pics, it won't happen again, scouts honor!
icon_biggrin.gif

The crosscut did produce more bark, it also helped hold the mop on the butt which made the bark a bit thicker and kinda sticky/chewy. I liked the results of both the crosscut and the mopping. It was hard to resist the temptation of just pulling those squares of bark off and eating 'em direct.

The rub I used is just one I make up myself. Basic kinda stuff. I mix paprika and brown sugar until it's not too sweet, but doesn't have that dry paprika taste/feel. It's probably a specific ratio, but I just do it by taste. Then I add granulated garlic, onion powder, chili powder, smaller amounts of salt, pepper, cayenne, mustard powder, and thyme. Then a small amount of cinnamon, just adds a dark, kinda warmth to the rub, if that makes any sense.

The mop was mostly cider vinegar, with a good dose of brown sugar, ketchup, small amount of dry mustard, worcestershire, tabasco and a healthy pour of the rub. Then I simmered it most of the day 'til it thickened up about halfway between vinegar and the average BBQ sauce. So it wouldn't just run off the butt when applied. Filled the house with a great vinegar smell all day. Reminded me of days when my Mom made pickles.

Greg, that contraption is my insane, ultimate WSM modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back