Last two cooks tasted terrible

John Heutz

TVWBB Fan
Anyone ever have this happen to them? Others thought it was quite good but I was pretty disappointed and embarrassed to serve it. I guess I have to get back to basics again.

Yes! For a while, the harder I tried... The more dissappointed I was. My off-tastes were from applying rub a day ahead and using too much smoke.

I went back to the basics. Simple seasoning, familiar cuts, quick simple prep, loosening my cooking temp range, and making sure my sauce is not too rich. In all, I reduced my investment in each cook and focused on enjoying the company of others and drinking. The food came out much better.

Have you identified anything John? Just the flavor? Texture or tenderness issue? Smoke? A combo of the above?

Overthinking cooks ahead of time can lead to - shall we say - weirdness. Like Ernie is touching on.

Yeah man,the simpler,the better. This ain't a four star restaurant,it's q! Don't overthink it,just let the q be! When I started,I would make all these fancy rubs. Guess what? Sweet Pammi Sue didn't like 'em. So I stay with a couple store bought ones and just let her enjoy my hard work!
icon_wink.gif

After posting and giving it a bit of thought here is where I think I might be going wrong:

1) In the case of the ribs, too much rub and the brisket, too little. In an attempt to remedy the rib problem (1st cook I didn't like, for the next and last cook I applied too little rub to the brisket) I have a really hard time judging what is too little vs what is too much.

2) Old spices. I have a plastic "locker" outside where I traditionally keep my spices and non-electric BBQ tools and I'm willing to bet that some of the bulk spices are fairly old.

3) I have an acquaintance that works in a very high end furniture shop and she gave me a whole
tub full of what was supposed to be cherry scraps (they are definitely UNFINISHED but I'm wondering now if it really is all cherry..hard to tell with no bark and sawed into square pieces). Some if it is really dark (like walnut) and some of it LOOKS like cherry but I can't be sure.

Good. Easy problems to fix.

A lot of fixing the first problem hinges on fixing the second. With fresher, more flavored spices and herbs you'll have a much easier time determining what you prefer.

For 3, get what you know is cherry (or whatever wood you want on hand) yourself.

I marinate my brisket so I'd be no help with that. As for ribs, I just coat them with rub so every inch is covered but if you stood the rack up, not much would fall off.

What do folks do with regards to storing spices? Vacuum seal them? Do you buy them in bulk or small quantities?

Spices are expensive in small quantities but throwing out a big container of X spice because it's old isn't cost effective either.

John - I've been making my own rub concoctions for years now. With regards to storing spices, rubs, etc., look online for a Restaurant supply store in your area. Most of them have very good "air tight" containers in various sizes at very reasonable prices and the spices will last a long time. There's a lot of supply houses online that will ship to you also. The other thing is this; if it's something you aren't going to use often Vacuum seal it.

John,

1st, I keep my spices indoors, sealed in small zip-lock style bags. This may not work for you, but I purchase my spices in small quantities. I can buy them in bulk and in any quantity I need (.25 oz - 5 lbs). This keeps my inventory low and thus is rotated regularly. Locally, several grocery chains offer this service. Whole Foods is one which may be available to you. I measure out the spice I want, weigh it on their scale and print the label from their system. I have a spice name, date and weight right on the bag.

If not, then I suggest you buy as fresh a spice as possible. Shop around and see what's available in your area. If possible, I'd avoid the prepackaged big name spice merchants as it's hard to tell how long that product has been sitting in that jar. Also, buying in bulk for me has proven to be so much cheaper. If you don't have any good options locally, then hit the internet. Vendors such as Penzey's offer a quality product at a fair price. Group a number of spices to share the cost of shipping. I hope that helps.

Paul

I spend many hundreds a year on spices so buying in bulk is a must. I portion and vac, freezing what will be around for a while before I get to it.

I'm only a home cook and I have to be on-the-cheap as much as possible. So I buy in bulk from Costco/Sam's/a local restaurant store and I portion and freeze like Kevin.

We do have a Penzey's here in Memphis, but it's a bit of a luxury for me to spice shop there. Still, I sneak over there every so often.

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. I will get back to you all and let you know how things turn out with my next cook.

Back