Larger butt on bottom grate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I loaded the smoker tonight and thought that it would be better to put the larger butt on the bottom grate. In reading some old posts, this seems to be incorrect because the top grate is typically hotter and therefore the larger butt should go on top.

Well, I'm not going to touch anything until at least early morning (about 10 hours). What should I do then? Should I swap them or just leave them? If I leave them, I can pull the top one off when it's done and then finish the larger one on the top for a couple more hours. Or, does it really matter? I'm using sand and I'm wondering if the heat sink and the lack of water really make the bottom rack that much different in temp.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

I would rotate & flip the two butts when you open the cooker at the 10 hour mark. Sand in the pan tends to radiate heat, which may lead to a tougher bark on the bottom of the butt if not flipped. I usually rotate, flip, and spray the butts with apple juice at about the halfway mark.

Based on my ONE experience with sand, the bottom rack probably will cook the same as or slightly faster than the top rack.

If using water in pan, top rack is generally hotter (until water is low). Sand, lower rack is generally hotter.
It never hurts to swap them at 1/2 to 3/4 of cook time to even up cook.

The wsm held so steady, I didn't awaken until 7:00am. I good night's sleep, but I did want to swap the butts at 10 hours (5:00am). Oh well. I put the big one on the top gate along with the smaller one. Then if the smaller one is done first, it'll be easier to take off. They look good.
icon_cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back