Large Standing Rib Roast - Where to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert Sanchez

TVWBB Super Fan
Howdy,

I live in the Bay Area (California).

I'd like to try smoking a standing rib roast this weekend.

Any suggestions for a good retailer?

Does Costco sell? What can I expect to pay per pound?

Thanks in advance.

-Albert

Costco does carry them..last I saw they were around 7 bucks a pound though..of course that was back a couple months ago..i think beef has come down a bit since then

Albert-

Just so you know, they won't have bone-in roasts. They only carry those over the holidays. If you're looking for a bone-in standing rib, I know you can get one at Dittmers in Mtn View (worth the trip just for a few pounds of his awesome selection of German sausages!) If you want to go that route, call ahead and ask about price and availability.

Rich (in Redwood City)

I hope you don't mind this Midwesterner from horning in on your conversation /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif but aside from the obvious lack of bones, are there any downsides to cooking a rib roast w/o the bones? I've made two of these on my WSM and they are simply awesome. But, those two roasts were bone-in.

Rich,

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check it out too.

As Ed was asking - any thoughts about buying and smoking a boneless rib roast.

Boneless seems to make a economic sense, as you won't be paying for the weight of the bones. On the otherhand.... boneless is probably more expensive per pound?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Albert Sanchez:
[qb] Rich,

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check it out too.

As Ed was asking - any thoughts about buying and smoking a boneless rib roast.

Boneless seems to make a economic sense, as you won't be paying for the weight of the bones. On the otherhand.... boneless is probably more expensive per pound? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Personally, I like the bones. They're fun to gnaw on during the post-dinner conversation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back