Lamb Shoulder.. What temp to pull?

Josh Z.

TVWBB Pro
I found some lamb shoulder that I could afford. I've looked at in the forum here, but never found a tempeture to pull it at. Once its all cooked up does it pull like pork butt?

Thanks,
Josh

You can go to ~170 and slice or go to the low-mid 190s and pull/chop--your choice. The tradtional western Ky sauce is Worcestershire-based but others (tweaked for lamb) can work too.

Jay:

Thanks for that link. That's exactly the information I've been looking for.

It seems to me that the method and recipes would work for goat, also. I live in a part of Spain that is famous for it's roast goat and lamb. Spaniards mostly roast the milk-fed babies (cordero lechal; cabrito), but now I think I'll ask my local butcher to track-down an older one.

I've also read in the LA Times recently that goat meat is becoming popular in California.

Josh Z.-- If you try this recipe with your lamb shoulder, please post your results. I'd be very interested.

Sal

If you want a real treat make yourself some Goat and Kraut. We used to have that at Deer camp and it was some really good eats.
icon_smile.gif

Sal,

I was planning on trying something close or the actual recipe tomorrow on my smoke. I'll be sure to post some results for you.

Josh

I've also read in the LA Times recently that goat meat is becoming popular in California.
It tends to go though minor upswings in popularity every once in a while. Outside of ethnic markets where it has always been extant its popularity (such as it is) doesn't last very long. Not enough chefs do it for long enough (I think) to ignite any sort of sustained interest. That's unfortunate. I cannot get it in my area (I probably could in a halal market but those are several hours away and I've not had the time nor opportunity) but I'm a big fan. I get it when I travel though, but it would be great to cook locally-raised goat at home as well.

The lamb came off the smoker at 190 degrees and didn't get a long enough rest.. I was hungry. I liked the rub on the lamb, but my wife did not like the taste of it (I'm pretty sure nothing would have made her like the taste of lamb). The sauce in that article is quiet good. It's not really sauce as more it is juice. Its not thick at all, but the flavor was very good. It reminded me a lot of the juice from the Italian Beef (my apologies to those reading this that don't know what it is or haven't had it. You're missing out)that we love so much in the Chicagoland area. So I would do it again without a doubt. I ended up just putting my left over lamb in the leftover juice for the leftovers.

Hope that helps ya.
Josh

Josh...What did you smoke it with. I have a nice shoulder in the freezer and never thought of cooking it on WSM....tom

Thanks for that update, Josh. I'll follow in your footsteps as quickly as possible.

Tom O: In Spain, at least, many people grill lamb over grape vine clippings. Just an FYI.

Sal

Tom,

I used guava becuase well... I have it and I love it. I'm guessing that just about any smoke wood would be good, but fruitwood is probably your best bet.

Josh

Back