Lamb Burger

RCBaughn

TVWBB Super Fan
So I haven't had time to put together my Performer yet, but that doesn't mean that I can't do some mean cooking on the old Spirit grill! Here is my most recent favorite burger -

LambBurger.jpg

I love the taste of lamb, I find it so much more flavorful that any ground beef, even grass fed. This burger was topped with Buffala di Mitica blue cheese, sautéed chanterelles with white truffle oil, baby arugula, and a good smear of mayo all on my homemade buns. It was quite possibly the best burger I have ever had. Pungent and flavorful to say the least. I don't know if I can ever go back to ground beef after having the goodness that is ground lamb.

I can only imagine how much better this thing will be once I get the lump charcoal burning. :cool:

That is a thing of beauty, Cory! Just wait til you cook them over some lump.

Great job and keep on posting pics!:)

Thank you Ed! I forgot to say that it was cooked medium rare. I find that any burger, whether it be lamb, bison, or beef cooked beyond medium rare is sorely lacking in flavor and texture. I love love love rare and medium rare meats! Ha.

Looks super tasty!

How mutch fat in % is in your ground meat?

I know whenever I grind my own lamb I'll take a lamb shoulder and grind it up without removing any fat from it. I'll just remove some of the gristle and use the whole thing to get a ton of fat, probably around 30-35%. This burger was made from pre-ground lamb I purchased from Whole Foods though.

I have read that the pre-ground lamb you buy in most markets usually has more fat in it than your typical 80/20 ground beef since the people who eat lamb in America are usually less conscious about fat and are looking for the stronger and gamey flavor that lamb fat brings. I would say by looking at the meat that I purchased for this meal that it was probably around 25-30% fat content, so slightly higher than the regular ground chuck you'd buy in a grocery store. It was very very juicy, and probably would've stayed that may even if you would've cooked it medium instead of medium rare. Why I love lamb so much!

Back