Lack of Natural gas regulator in 2016 weber genesis e330

Yang

TVWBB Member
Hi Guys, I have a quick question. I'm in the process of converting my 2016 Genesis e-330 from LP to Natural Gas. The reason I don't want to sell this grill and simply buy a natural gas grill is because I've literally used this brand new BBQ for less than 5 times since I bought it and have bought tons of accessories/components for it already. As a result, I don't want to simply sell the grill at a huge loss.

As a reference:
My LP gas grill schematic: https://www.weber.com/CA/en/help/schematics/search/86531001
NG grill schematic I'm trying to convert to: https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/schematics/browse/86631701

So far, I've already ordered the natural gas manifold (part 70057) as well as the side manifold (part 67776) for this project, I also have a 1/2 in natural gas hose with quick connect readily available. However, I can not for the life of me find where the regulator is installed on the NG model of this bbq based on the schematic. I can't possibly imagine that you simply connect a natural gas line to the grill from the source and it'll work. Alternatively, I noticed that the two grills have unique model numbers for the burner tubes. So going by that, I'm I supposed to assume that how the 2016 genesis e-330 regulate the gas through the difference in the burner tube (although highly unlikely)? I see that grillparts.com sell a regulator with the link below. Do you think I should just install that along the gas line to regulate the gas flow into the grill?

I really appreciate everyone's help and input in this matter

I hope Larry can chime in, but I think that depending on how the gas is regulated on the main line that you tap into, you are fine running it straight. But get some better advice before you actually hook it up.

Let us know how the conversion goes.

However, I can not for the life of me find where the regulator is installed on the NG model of this bbq based on the schematic. I can't possibly imagine that you simply connect a natural gas line to the grill from the source and it'll work.

I have several Weber NG grills (1000 & S320) and a camp stove. They do not come with regulators nor do I use one. They all work fine. I think there are homes (not in my area) that use higher pressure gas supply and require a regulator at each appliance.

Do you have other gas appliances in the house and do they have regulators?

Last edited:
The smaller grills did not come with regulators and are designed to operate on standard (should be 7" WC +or- 1" IIRC). However a caveat. It depends how your house is plumbed. My wife has a friend in Woodbury MN. When I was a flight attendant based at MSP for Delta I rented a room from her. I did some work on the house for her as well as pay her rent $$$ to crash there.
Her home was plumbed in 3/8" copper at high pressure to each appliance. Where it was then regulated down to what the appliance required. Oddly even more it was done in soft flexible copper with crimp type (ferrule) fittings. Weirdest thing I ever saw. It is a type of townhome complex btw.
So a good way to tell. If your house is plumbed in black iron pipe or CSST or large diameter plastic. Odds are it is done at 7" give or take. The only way to be sure is to use a manometer or look at other appliances like the furnace, water heater, etc. Don't bother looking at the gas stove. They all come with a regulator and usually it's a 2 position one. (NG or LP) and a second set of orifices.

I have several Weber NG grills (1000 & S320) and a camp stove. They do not come with regulators nor do I use one. They all work fine. I think there are homes (not in my area) that use higher pressure gas supply and require a rengluât or at each appliance.

Do you have other gas appliances in the house and do they have regulators?

Thanks for the response Bill, it is odd that the grill doesn't come with a regulator just in case a few customers that might have high pressure gas lines. I also have a furnace that uses natural gas in the house, I can check if that uses a regulator. This is definitely new to me as I thought All natural gas/propane bbqs would have to come with a regulator.

The smaller grills did not come with regulators and are designed to operate on standard (should be 7" WC +or- 1" IIRC). However a caveat. It depends how your house is plumbed. My wife has a friend in Woodbury MN. When I was a flight attendant based at MSP for Delta I rented a room from her. I did some work on the house for her as well as pay her rent $$$ to crash there.
Her home was plumbed in 3/8" copper at high pressure to each appliance. Where it was then regulated down to what the appliance required. Oddly even more it was done in soft flexible copper with crimp type (ferrule) fittings. Weirdest thing I ever saw. It is a type of townhome complex btw.
So a good way to tell. If your house is plumbed in black iron pipe or CSST or large diameter plastic. Odds are it is done at 7" give or take. The only way to be sure is to use a manometer or look at other appliances like the furnace, water heater, etc. Don't bother looking at the gas stove. They all come with a regulator and usually it's a 2 position one. (NG or LP) and a second set of orifices.

The gas line coming into my house looks even worse. By the looks of it, the tubing coming into the house is just a regular plastic tubing that's not crimped at all. Not only that, it seems to be smaller than the line going into my house (see attached image). In addition, the regulator for the line coming into my house seems to be pointing in the wrong way so that it's hitting the inlet line from the gas company. I don't know if it was the previous owner that did this job or maybe the gas company. I wonder if I should give my gas company a call to figure out my situation.

Attachments

• IMG_20200920_101117.jpg
    IMG_20200920_101117.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200920_101111.jpg
    IMG_20200920_101111.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200920_101824.jpg
    IMG_20200920_101824.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 10
You're fine. The reason the plastic is smaller is because A. the walls of the tubing is thinner than black iron pipe and B, it's MUCH higher pressure so does not need as large a diameter making it easier to run to the meter. Your regulator is fine as well. Given that your home has black iron pipe I would say it's running at 7"WC pressures.
As for lack of a regulator. Really the biggest secondary reason to have a regulator on a grill is if it's a large grill with heavy "draw" the regulator will help to lessen any surges and drop offs as burners are turned on and off. On a smaller grill, it's pretty moot because it will not have those fluctuations as badly.
As long as you're installing a new manifold properly set up for fuel of choice you're good to go

You're fine. The reason the plastic is smaller is because A. the walls of the tubing is thinner than black iron pipe and B, it's MUCH higher pressure so does not need as large a diameter making it easier to run to the meter. Your regulator is fine as well. Given that your home has black iron pipe I would say it's running at 7"WC pressures.
As for lack of a regulator. Really the biggest secondary reason to have a regulator on a grill is if it's a large grill with heavy "draw" the regulator will help to lessen any surges and drop offs as burners are turned on and off. On a smaller grill, it's pretty moot because it will not have those fluctuations as badly.
As long as you're installing a new manifold properly set up for fuel of choice you're good to go

Thank you very much for all the help LMichaels. You've truly been helpful in this journey of mine. Looking forward to cooking on the natrual gas version of my grill.

Love my NG E320 which by the way is a straight hookup no regulator. No messing with tanks of propane just fire it up and cook as long as you want.
I've had it for 10 years and it's never run out of gas. :D

Back