Labor Day Cooking-What's up for the weekend?

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
Tonight we are resting the grill :-( Soft shell crabs on the stove.
Sunday-ribs and Monday pork roast. Both were rubbed today and should be good.
Hope all of you have a nice weekend.
Our prayers to over brothers and sisters in the Gulf region.

As of 10:00 AM EST today, I've had two pork butts on for 16 hours. Temp is hovering around 188. I'm using my BBQ Guru in the 'Ramp' mode, so the pit temp has steadily been dropping from around 230 most of the night / morning to about 200 right now.

I'll hold them in the WSM for several hours at 190, then remove them, wrap them in foil, and put them in an insulated cooler to sit for about two hours. The plan is to have them pulled and ready to serve around 5:30 PM.

They should go well with the 480 chicken wings I'm deep-frying for the 50+ guests (each with a side to pass) I'm expecting.

I'm guessing that NOBODY will leave here today hungry
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I'm bringing non-Texas style BBQ to the East Texas piney woods tomorrow. I was able to secure spares, loinbacks, and pork butt from amidst a sea of packer briskets. Although I only have a gas grill and a convection oven to work with, I'm going to bring all my BBQing skills to bear with what I've been given. Pulled pork, vinegar-style sauce, cole slaw, white buns, baked beans, ribs slathered in a homemade sauce, and chicken wings-- should be a good feed.

Doug, you forgot to mention what you'll be doing in your spare time!
icon_wink.gif

Can't keep a good man down!

All the best to you and yours,
Rita

Big sale on beautiful Roma tomatoes at the local market, so I'm doing my annual batch of smoke-dried tomatoes. I received a food dehydrator for Christmas last year, so for this batch of 'maters I did 5 applications of oak over the course of two hours in the WSM, then transferred them to the dehydrator where they're drying now.

Regards,
Chris

Burgers on the Weber Kettle on Saturday, Spares for Sunday (happily smoking away in the WSM right now), and bone-in chicken breasts for Monday. My backyard smells like bacon
icon_smile.gif

Mike

Well I had planned not to smoke this weekend, but I couldn't pass it up since it looks to be beautiful......

I'll be doing some britu spares (first attempt) and the cherry chile wings in the poultry recipe section (first attempt).

I'll keep my fingers crossed and well licked.

Josh

We made Chicken Fajitas w/ guacamole and pico de galo last night.
I put a 12# choice brisket on at midnight last night and we just finished it off.
Monday it's Chris A's Apple Brined Turkey(it's in the brine now)

Steve

2 Butts on the top and a brisket on the bottom. Started them at 8:00 Sunday night and will be eating at 2:00 Monday afternoon.
KL

Sounds like a lot of good eating. The ribs were suburb, as usual. The pork is still smoking, I am about ready to hit the sauce, on the pork that is!
Hey Chris, the Romas sound great. My wife makes real, honest to God homemade ketchup. It is THE best. May my Father rest in peace, but I would almost consider putting it on steak it is THAT good.

Saturday night was grilled fall chinook salmon (bonked personally on Friday). Four butts (about 28 pounds trimmed) went into the WSM @ midnight Sunday, just removed (195 average temp) to wrap and let rest. Will pull in an hour w/Eastern NC vinegar finishing sauce, and have Bone Sucking sauce on the table. Best part, it's just the wife and me, can you say leftovers!

Everthing turned out great. I used the Alton Brown "Who Loves Ya Babyback?" technique to oven-braise the ribs, and then finished them on the grill, glazing with a homemade finishing sauce. I used orange juice for the braising liquid (only thing available), along with a tablespoon of Figaro Liquid Smoke & Marinade for each rack. The butt (half) spent several hours indirect on the grill at low temp with a packet of smoke pellets from WalMart, until it hit 180, then into foil for an oven finish at 300 until it passed 200 internal. Two dozen chicken wing drumettes were fried on the grill side burner, tossed in Frank's Chile Lime Wing Sauce, and then held in the oven along with the butt. All were served with creamy cole slaw and baked beans. I waited until everyone had finished to tell them that everything they had just enjoyed was no-added sugar or sugar free.

Hats off to you, Doug! That was some awesome meal and what lucky guests you had! I'll bet they are still talking about it.
Rita

Back