Labor day BBQ question

Thad Raz

Hey guys,

This weekend I am going to be cooking up some shoulders and briskets. I want to time it so I can pull both off at the same time. Thinking about putting the brisket on later in the smoke and refreshing the wood supply in the smoker. Do you think that this will be okay? Should I just put both on at the same time and hope for them to settle in to temp close to one another? In my experience the shoulders I have cooked have always taken a lot longer. I have an 8 and a 10 lb. packer and two 7-8 lb. shoulders. Another concern is making the shoulders bitter when I apply the fresh smoke with the brisket.

. . . maybe I should just finish the shoulders and do a high temp brisket attempt.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks much.

Thad

Thad,

Easy...put 'em on together, when one finishes...probably the brisket, double wrap in foil, put in cooler w/ some towels. when the butts finish, do the same w/ them...same cooler. Slice/pull/chop whatever, whenever you're ready to eat.

Keep it as simple as possible...the more complicated you make it, the less you'll really enjoy the delight of BBQ and the WSM in general.

Happy holiday!!

If it was me (and I think I've done this cook before) I'd go with what Joe suggests, put the packer(s) on the bottom grate, butts on top (in my WSM top always runs hotter than bottom, some report different experiences) and then cooler the briskets if they're done before the butts . . . which even though you're putting them on the bottom rack I think will be the case.

Keep in mind, while this may seem simpler, if you're foiling the briskets at 165, removing points etc. you'll want to have a helper standing around as the additional hands will help.

The other option (if you've got the time) is to do the butts the day before and reheat.

Sounds like a fun cook, looking forward to the pictures.

I agree with the advice to wrap up in foil and put in a small cooler. I pretty much do this for any big party cook and the food will stay hot for HOURS (I have held > 8 hours like this).

Also think it improves the quality of my BBQ after resting like this.

Jamie

Cool. So I will put everything on at once and pull accordingly.

I have realized another problem though now: how to fit the briskets in the bottom grate. I have one smaller brisket at about 8 lbs. and the other is about 12. Should I skewer them together and try to keep them propped away from the edges of the grate or should I prop them up by folding them? Or should I do something else entirely.

Thanks so much again for your help. This is such an amazing resource.

You guys rock.

Back