Kroger brand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim M

Back when I was learning to use an ECB (OK it was just last summer /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) I looked all over the internet for information on how to smoke meat. Most of the places I found railed on Kingsford charcoal because it included too many binders and chemicals. Most of the people suggested using lump charcoal. If that wasn't availble they suggested a brand called Holland. One person (http://www.bbq-porch.org/faq/07-10.asp) said that Kroger brand charcoal and some other store brands are manufactured by Hickory Specialties and are the same thing. It is supposed to include fewer chemicals and binders and not affect the food taste. I have been using the Kroger brand charcoal since. I can tell you that the briquettes are more crumbly and less well formed than Kingsford.

Since I bought a WSM and found this site I have noticed that practically everyone swears by Kingsford. There is no need to post to defend Kingford since it obviously is working well for many of you. My question is if anyone else is using the Holland or Kroger brand and if you know what the difference is. The information on the bag provides no help.

Thanks,
Tim

Why don't you cook with both and report back here what your findings are? We'd sure appreciate it. Ideally you'd do 2 different cooks with everything exactly the same except the charcoal.

At $11 for 48# of Kingsford I'm not changing unless there's good reason, specifically taste and smell. I don't "swear" by Kingsford but it works well, is inexpensive and I can't smell or taste anything weird in my food so I use it.

(Those lump fanatics on alt.food.barbecue are a real trip, huh?)

Lump charcoal does not mean that's better. If you check the lump charcoal that comes out of bag you may be surprised what you can find. I've have seen plywood, lumber, flooring cutoffs, and all kind of matter that was not wood.
I use lump but I don't assume that it is some how cleaner than Kingsford.
Jim

Lump is to charcoal as Spam is to pork butt.

Just my humble 2 Lincolns.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jerry N.:
[qb] Mark - I hope you mean that Charcoal is to Lump as Spam is to Pork Butt. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Oooh...brain lock....sorry...Thanks, Jerry!

Mark

If you look at the Hickory Specialties website, you'll see they don't make charcoal any more. So I don't know who is making your Kroger brand charcoal.

The Lazzari lump I've been using is all trees. I haven't found manufacturing scrap like some people have reported in other brands.

PS I am one of those trippin afb lump fanatics, if that makes any difference here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back