Kobe Brisket

John Garrett

Has anyone smoked a Kobe Beef Brisket before? I'm wondering if/how the time will differ because of the ridiculous fat content. This chunk of meat I'm fixin to cook is marbled like a prime New York!

Did you have to take out a bank loan to get Kobe brisket? Down in San Diego we pay 20-30 dollars a pound for any cut of Kobe beef.

You're gonna hate me for this - but I work for a meat/seafood company and my cost on it is around $3/lb. The farm doesn't have a market for the chucks & briskets yet, so they discount these for meat packers who grind it for burgers. This one was actually free - I'm cooking it off for a training session on foodservice applications for this cut of meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Garrett:
You're gonna hate me for this - but I work for a meat/seafood company and my cost on it is around $3/lb. The farm doesn't have a market for the chucks & briskets yet, so they discount these for meat packers who grind it for burgers. This one was actually free - I'm cooking it off for a training session on foodservice applications for this cut of meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm sorry but you suck, No other way to put it.
icon_razz.gif
That said welcome aboard you oh so lucky dog you.
icon_cool.gif
Please let us no how that Primo Brisket turns out. I've been looking for Kobe Beef here can't seem to find it.
icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by John Garrett:
You're gonna hate me for this - but I work for a meat/seafood company and my cost on it is around $3/lb.

You're right, I hate you.
icon_razz.gif
I get shivers up my spine at the thought of a fine Brisket getting the grind into burgers. I'm now patiently awaiting your response to Al's question. I think the only way I can get Kobe is by paying some obscene amount of money to order it. Heck, I don't even have a butcher shop around here, Cosco IS my butcher shop.

Welcome to the board.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The farm doesn't have a market for the chucks & briskets yet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your farm may have just found a pretty significant market with all of the users here. Any chance of direct marketing to all of us?

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think your farm may have just found a pretty significant market with all of the users here. Any chance of direct marketing to all of us? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah Buddieee!!!! Put me down for some Chuck Rolls neck removed and several Full Packers. FOR THE LOVE OF BBQ STOP GRINDING IT INTO BURGER.

I've smoked a couple of Kobe Briskets, and they do cook extremely fast compared to choice or select briskets, right around 45 minutes/lb.

The ones I got weren't all that expensive, with whole packers going for around $2.50/lb. mail order from a place in Texas. The problem is the overnight shipping, which gets expensive. I've talked about ordering a whole pallet full and having them ship them out to one of their local distributors, but haven't had enough interest (or money) to pull it off.

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Jones:
I've smoked a couple of Kobe Briskets, and they do cook extremely fast compared to choice or select briskets, right around 45 minutes/lb.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, they cook real quick - a 13 Lb slab took less than 8 hours. Of course, it was so big that I had to rip it and wrap it into a circle - like I do with the baby backs.

It was good, but not the monumental experience I had hoped for.

It does cook really fast. There's a place in Los Angeles that sells Kobe (actually, they call it Wagyu) briskets from Australia for $2 something a pound. Can't remember the name off the top of my head - it's a meat distribution company where you have to walk into the refrigerated warehouse to get the brisket. I used them in two competitions and did really poorly. I couldn't figure it out, until one person that's a judge told me someone was turning in tri-tip instead of brisket and they were scoring them down. So, I figured it's the judges' ignorance, and I stopped using the Kobe brisket. It has a real beefy flavor and is really tender. It's good stuff.

Back