Kobe Beef: Facts and Myths

Bob, I'm glad your Thermapen is fine. It's a pretty amazing piece of equipment.

You do have a point about e coli. Costco's ground beef comes in 5- or 6-pound packages so I use it all to make burgers. For convenience (I have 9- and 7-year-old grandsons living with me) I like to freeze them -- the burgers, that is -- and cook them from the frozen state. Freezing will keep any bacteria from multiplying but apparently doesn't kill the bacteria:

Search Results: "Freezing foods renders bacteria inactive but doesn't actually kill anything. That means if your food went into the freezer contaminated, once thawed it will still harbor the same harmful bacteria. Cooking it to the recommended temperature is the only way to ensure that your food is safe."

On the other hand, Kenji Lopez-Alt, over on Serious Eats (10 Tips for Better Burgers), has a handy temperature range chart (scroll down to item #4). Grinding your own meat will lessen the risk proving it is handled properly. (How did I get off on this tangent? In any case, it's an interesting article.

Rita

"For convenience (I have 9- and 7-year-old grandsons living with me) I like to freeze them -- the burgers, that is"

My laugh for the day!
:)

Back