Knob question for old school 1000.....it has me scratchin my head

Man o man some extenders would fix the problem for sure. The more I think of it I just finished another grill recently....it was a very old....shallow box......Im gunna call it a Silver. I will include a pic. Heck its possible I got the manifolds mixed up :( .....

Attachments

• 20220210_180534.jpg
    20220210_180534.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 4
No, the manifolds are different sizes. One would not match the holes in the control panel of the other.
I am pretty sure your manifold is just sagging down a little low. It doesn't take much.
But, if the valve stems match up to the holes, then you have the right manifold. In fact, you would not have been able to bolt it to the cook box without bending the brackets inward or outward.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllll here is a clue......this grill not the one pictured......the grill we are discussing had push in tabs vs screws to attach the control panel to the frame. When I finally attached it the other day by pushing in until they clicked it did in fact mis-align the knob holes....they are off center but just east west........I was going to add spacers to line back up correctly or try a different control panel. I will also make sure I have a manifold brace on.....but that baby is solid as a rock......pics coming tonight...I wanted to show off this grill anyway.

You need the brace on the manifold. That will tell you if the manifold is sagging down or not. It may just be bent down a 1/2" or so at the valves. Putting the brace on will ensure it is at the correct height. You could even bend the manifold up to make the valve stems higher. Once you get them to the needed height, just use a piece of wire or similar to support off the cross piece it at that height.

Roger that......this grill is really grindin' my gears.....will be happy to put it back in service and out of my shop.....winter resto's are a different breed then summer resto's. No heat in my shop.....so when I am there a tinkerin' I need to make forward progress.....in the summer tinkerin' is a lot more fun and relaxed.

Jim, make sure the springs in the valves move up and down during operation. Off they should be up about a half an inch. On down a half an inch

Yep....you guys are sharp.....Admittedly I dont disassemble all valve bodies for flips. These old valve bodies have soft rusted screws and I usually strip a few out in the process so this valve set could use a lube.......but I did steel wool the valve shaft and add a lil wd 40 initially to loosen up the stems ........as for the spring up and down the issue is that the dang knobs bottom out on the control panel ...........

I think the issue is the "S" bracket.

When you remove the control panel you can lift the side of the grill slightly by the manifold. If the bracket is missing, or bent then the cookbox will rest on the frame, and the manifold will be too low for the knobs to fit.

Here is a pic of mine. The frame and cook box are from a 98 Genesis 2000. The manifold is from a 1990 Genesis 3.

I was able to lift the cook box and manifold to remove the S bracket, pictured below.

20220304_084144.jpg20220304_085402.jpg
20220304_085348.jpg

Hey guys thanks for the replies.....u helped me work through it. I stopped by the shop and removed the panel.....the valve stems are long and the manifold is round. I did nkt install a bracket on this one because it was soooo solid.....so this is what i did.....
I stopped making excuses and disassembled and lubed all the valves for smooth operation thanks to the straight edge option on these particular valve screws. Then i added the damn bracket......then i put everything back together and it looks just right. The bracket gave me that tiny bit extra that i needed. Lesson learned. I will do another burn off tonight then hopefully deliver tomorrow. Several pics will be posted tonight. I am replying via my phone now....uploading will take forever.

Pics seem to be loading

Attachments

• 20220304_133009.jpg
    20220304_133009.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220304_132954.jpg
    20220304_132954.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 6
Hey guys thanks for the replies.....u helped me work through it. I stopped by the shop and removed the panel.....the valve stems are long and the manifold is round. I did nkt install a bracket on this one because it was soooo solid.....so this is what i did.....
I stopped making excuses and disassembled and lubed all the valves for smooth operation thanks to the straight edge option on these particular valve screws. Then i added the damn bracket......then i put everything back together and it looks just right. The bracket gave me that tiny bit extra that i needed. Lesson learned. I will do another burn off tonight then hopefully deliver tomorrow. Several pics will be posted tonight. I am replying via my phone now....uploading will take forever.
I learned a couple of things too.

U were correct......thats why I call you " The Bruce " .....cause you have a shoot yon of experience and have seen most everything. Dans posts amd a few others were also very helpful. So the reason i dint think it was the bracket was because the manifold did not budge when pushing the knobs......what i didnt realize was that the bracket literally lifts the dang cook box up and rests it on the frame as Dan was eluding to. By attaching the bracket it didnt just stabilize the manifold it lifted it up and mounted it to the frame........lesson learned.
You guys are the best.....

Back