Knob Assembly

Curt

TVWBB Fan
So I used my new 22.5 WSM yesterday for the second time, and the knob on the door fell apart. The metal threads inside the plastic handle popped out and rendered the entire assembly worthless. (New one on the way, but still...)
My point being, am I the only one who thinks the assembly is kinda cheesy? It's loose, and I used it on my SS door and realized all that play prevents the door from sealing well at the very top.

And so, has anyone come up with a mod for the handle to snug it up while not overstressing the whole thing and making it crumble like a cookie?

sorry to hear that Curt, butt this is the first time I've heard of anyone having a problem with the door knob assembly.
I also have the stainless door by CB.
Butt then, knowing the WSM is not intended to be airtight, I'm not too concern about it, for that matter.

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
sorry to hear that Curt, butt this is the first time I've heard of anyone having a problem with the door knob assembly.
I also have the stainless door by CB.
Butt then, knowing the WSM is not intended to be airtight, I'm not too concern about it, for that matter.

Naturally, I'm the one with the first issue.
No biggie, new one on the way, but now I'm thinking maybe I did something!

I remember reading on here that someone else had the knob break on them. He broke it installing it on CB SS door by over tightening it. At least that is what he attributed it to.

I think he glued it or epoxied it or something like that and it worked.

I will look for the post and link to it if I can find it for you.

here is one

one

and another

another

and another

Another

I was careful when installing my knob on my SS door because I had reaqd the post in the first link. I had a out of round center section and when I called about it I ordered a complete door assembly with knob for like 20 bucks just in case I ever broke mine or needed the door to try to stack my sections or something.

Good luck, maybe you can fix your broken one and stack your sections for a big cook or something. I am gonna do some home made sausages some time and stack the sections so I can hang them in there.

Guy,
Like you, I broke the handle or more specifically, the metal housing popped out. I called Weber CS and they shipped the entire door. Unfortunately, the same thing happened with the replacement so I just glued the housing inside the handle.

Originally posted by Guy Wallace:
Can JUST a door handle be ordered ? If so anyone know the part number for the 2010 WSM ?

I called to have the knob replaced under warranty. No problem there, but they told me the only way to get the knob is as part of the door. So they sent me the door, and now I have two aluminum doors to go along with the SS door I put the new knob on.

Guess too many rather than not enough.

Exactly the same happened to me. I'm thinking this is a design flaw given the posts I'm starting to see here.

I wedged it with a 3' dowel and called Weber CS. They're sending me a new door.

Originally posted by Paul Schaffer:
Exactly the same happened to me. I'm thinking this is a design flaw given the posts I'm starting to see here.

I wedged it with a 3' dowel and called Weber CS. They're sending me a new door.

Paul, I installed the new one on the SS CB door, and for whatever reason, this one is a whole lot more solid than the original, so I guess my problem is solved.

Glad to see I'm not the only one -- my knob popped as well. I was able to keep it together through this weekend's comp, though. I guess I'll be buying a new door assembly!

Boy,

Since the knob can not be ordered by itself.

Between breaking knobs and people taking the knobs off the original door to put onto the Cajun Bandit stainless doors, There are going to be alot of knobless Weber doors out there.

I have two myself.

Erik,

Under no circumstances should you purchase one until you've called the Weber customer support line. I rang them up, described my problem, and they sent me out an entire new door assembly under warranty.

I suspect that this is not an uncommon problem for them, they didn't seem surprised but my experience with their customer service was excellent.

This also happened to me at the Evergreen State BBQ Championship in Duvall. WA. We were cooking briskets on the big bullet and all of a sudden I hear the sound of the door hitting the ground and all the washers, latch and screw scattering in all directions. The threads in the handle were stripped out. We had some magnets that we use to hold the ET73's hold the door in place until the briskets hit the Cambro.

Back