Knives

I am not a professional chef or cook, though I've paid their tuition a couple of times! :) I appreciate J Reyes expert advice. I like the Victorinox as a good balance of function versus price. Hanging out in the Philippines for the last few years, I see a ton of very very cheap knives as the only thing available to most cooks and chefs here. Very few make enough to step up in quality and those that do have to pay a big premium in price.

I wish I could have my bro-n-law work with you some J, I am sure his knife skills would benefit tremendously. He used our small 10 inch slicer to cut bacon both thick and thin. We have taken the skin off a pork belly and shoulder many times here. It can be done with almost any sharp knife, but a longer slicer would be handy for that when there are two people doing the slabs of pork belly.

I keep trying to teach my family the "pinch". Mixed success, but at least they aren't putting their index finger on the top of the blade anymore. Heh heh!

Chris may want to move this post to the Kitchen Gadget forum. One of the challenges with the Victorinox Fibrox line is the big finger guard at the handle. For example with the Slicer in the link above the finger guard will prevent the blade near the handle from contacting the board. So it is OK for slicing breast pieces off a whole turkey (no board contact) but when it comes to getting a clean cut (like a brisket slices) where you may want the entire the blade to contact the board ... it is not ideal.
About two seconds on a bench grinder (very carefully - it's a knife, remember) will remove the excess plastic finger guard. If I had the Victorinox slicer that's how I would solve the problem.

Hey TJ, I've been in the market for some BBQ knives as well. From what little research I have done, the Victorinox that you are looking at is an excellent blade. I have had my eye on it as well. I did come across a set from the Texas BBQ Rub website. http://www.texasbbqrub.com/bbqknives.htm I know it's twice as much as the Victorinox blade, but you do get three different knives. I would say more knives equal more options, but that's just me. Good luck on your search, and let us know what you get. :)

Tommy

Tommy the set above includes a knife that really has little practical use... the 6 inch Chef's knife .. most people who know how to use a Chef's knife will tell you that anything under 8 inches is not practical for how it should be used as all purpose knife from slicing watermelons, rock chopping veggies, and some meat work.

A 10 inch Chef's knife like a Victorinox, Dexter Rusell, etc. is a good all purpose knife. Like the F-150 of knives type of versatility. Not very sexy but it can do a little of everything.

I have the Victorinox/Forschner Rosewood handle version ... but may upgrade to a different knife .. something like this Kai Seki (in 9.5 inch version) or perhaps a Richmond Artifex.

Besides a Chef's knife most people recommend a serrated bread knife, followed by a paring knife... these three knives are considered the core of a knife set.. beyond these three are whatever you need for your specific uses. For example if you break down a lot of meats then a Boning or Breaking knife maybe useful. Slicing large cuts of meat then the Slicer or Carving knife, etc.

Since the Chef's knife is what most people use perhaps 80%+ of the time then it makes sense to spend most of one's budget on this one knife vesrsus the lessor used knives.

In any case learn to use a Pinch Grip and learn if you need to .. how to maintain and sharpen and your set should last you a very long time.

Last edited:

Back