Knife Sharpener

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any experience with this knife sharpener?

Cooking.com has a 20% off coupon (code c99894) and free shipping.

I've been wanting one for a while, but thought I'd check to see if someone has one and likes or dislikes it.

TIA

I've had one for a couple of years now and very happy with it.

Tom

I've heard they were very good and had it on my mental list to order. How do you get the coupon ?

Paul

My dad is a fanatic about his knives. He's had one of these for years and can't say enough good things about it. When they lived in California, he'd bring it when visiting (to the East coast) to sharpen my Henckels knives!!!

Ironic -- they just moved to PA, and he lives about 2 miles from the factory.

20% off with free shipping is a great deal!

I've used the 110, which I think is the same, except without the serrated sharpener. It does an excelent job and quickly brings my Henckels to a razor-like edge. It can rub a burr mark along the side of the knife if you're not careful, but other than that it does a great job.
k

I received my knife sharpener last Friday, Had to try it out soon as it came! I'm impressed, it sharped everything it threw at it. A good value at $130.00, a great value at 20% off. Thanks for the heads up Tom!

At the risk of hi-jacking this topic... I just purchased a set of W?sthof knives and I love them, makes meat prepping SO much easier, and I was thinking about sharpening them down the road. However, I heard Alton Brown (Good Eats) say that he NEVER sharpens his own knives, and any electric do-dad will only eventually ruin good knives. He sends his out once a year to a professional knife sharpener.

Anyone have any feedback about that???

I use this and absolutely love it. I can take it with me to comps and other off site cooks...including when going to cook at someone elses place....can you say, in-laws? LOL

It cost about $10 and has worked great for the last 6 years. Have not had to take my knives to a pro since using this.

2411534.jpg

A word of caution on using the sharpener shown by Stogie.... It can cause divots(?) in the edge if used too forcefully. Don't ask me how I know! ;~)

However comma that being said, if light pressure is used on the blade (repeated light strokes), it will work quite well. It does take off more blade material than I would like, but sure works in a pinch for a quick resharpening.

I have the less expensive 2-stage version of the sharpener shown in the link at the top of the thread. Been extremely pleased with it.

Sespe...

Good point! If you apply too much pressure, the blade will actually dull, like you said. You can see the metal shavings!

But a few quick, light strokes and I will put it up against any other knife.

I got this model sharpener thru Amazon in Feb. when they had a $20.00 off coupon deal going. I love it. Its easy to use and does a great job. IMO.
We always have shrp knives around now. What a difference!

Hey Kevin, that's a neat looking sharpener in the picture. I wonder how well it really works on that hammer I see there though. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The Chef's Choice sharpener is tops. However, most of us will not need to use it often on our high quality, super hard, high carbon content knives as we just don't cut food all day long like professional cooks. In between Chef's Choice sharpenings be sure to use a good sharpening steel.

The Chef's Choice removes metal; by comparison, a steel takes the microns fine edge and "smooths-out" all the microscopic bends in it created by normal use. You will want to use the steel, many, many times between sharpenings. When the steel doesn't give you the edge you require, time to get out the Chef's choice.

The Chef's Choice gets knives so sharp you could practically shave with them if you wanted to. No need for professional sharpening.

Personally, I really like the Gatco Gatstix sharpener. It works great, has a fixed 20 degree angle, and doesn't remove much, if any metal at all. A similar and more expensive option is the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker . I picked up the Gatco for $20 off of Ebay and I use it on my Globals. It keeps them perfectly sharp and it's easy to use.

Now with that said, if you're really into keeping your knives scary sharp, then go for the EdgePro Apex . A quick internet and newsgroup search will show you how many people love it. It's not cheap ($135) but it appears to work very well. It's next on my list of things to get. hmmm Fathers Day......

Just my 2 cents,
Kevin L

Jason - I'm with Alton on this one, personally. After taking my knives every year to the local cutlery shop and watching a professional sharpen my knives, I don't think I'd want to trust a gadget that cost less than the knife to sharpen it. That's just my opinion, but I've got knives in my collection now that are getting close to 20 years old that are as sharp now as they ever were...and I've never had a knife get notched, mis-shapen or over-sharpened - unless I was the one messing with a sharpener (which I managed to do to a very nice Global chef's knife I got as a wedding present with a really cool sharpener that was, ironically, another wedding present some 12 years ago).

Plus, it's pretty cheap and gives me an excuse to go browse and buy new knives from the shop once a year. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif BUT, like I said, that's just my opinion, "your mileage may vary."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back