Kirk's rub recipes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
I recently got Paul Kirk's book on rubs and sauces and tried tweaking my personal rub to mirror how he says a rub should be constructed. First let me say seasoned salt is a great product and has improved my rub. BUT, he says ideally use equal parts sugar and salt. Not even with equal parts the rub was way too salty. Trying to see what everyone's take is on this and what they find to be a good ratio.

Jim, when you say the rub is too salty, are you tasting just the rub or is it too salty after cooking with it?

I've noticed that the flavor profile of rubs change with the application of heat and what tastes salty on its own doesn't end up salty on the meat after cooking.

I'm sensitive to the salt flavor as well - I find that if I substitute kosher salt in the rub recipe, it's much more to my liking.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Im talking after cooking salty. I agree with Keri on the Kosher salt and liked the results but tried the seasoned salt and liked the little extra it added. Now its a matter or retweaking the recipe to get the balance back I guess.

On using Kosher salt. Rightly or wrongly , I have tried to keep my ingredients in a rub the same size-they all get an equal shake.

Anybody else do the same? So I usually do not use Kosher salt.

I am sensitive to salt. I don't care how much salt is called for in a rub, I will always use less salt except if I am using sea or Kosher salt. If I used seasoned salt, I will use much less of the other salt called for in the recipe. Rodgers

Jim
Try for example 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup each onion salt, garlic salt, seasoned salt, and maybe celery salt. That gives you balance but does cut down on overall salt level.
If you find that the salt levels are still too high then change to granulated onion or garlic or both.
Jim

Jim, Paul Kirk gives his advice as a general guidelin; a place to start. If the rub is too salty for you, cut back on the salt. Try ising 3/4 c salt to a cup sugar and see if you like that better.

I find I am more concerned with sweetness and heat. I perfer pork to be sweeter than beef, so I use more sugar with pork. And I like beef to be hotter than pork, so I use more chili powder and cayenne, and less sugar. It's all just personal preference.

I love Paul Kirk's books and recipes but he likes salt way more than I do. Wnen I make a rub I leave the salt out. I then season the meat with salt B4 I apply the rub. This way I get exactly the amount of salt that I know I like. This also alows me to use the rub a bit more freely to punch up the flavor without worrying about about it becoming too salty. Also you can use these salt free rubs on meats that have been brined. Makes sense doesn't it?

I have borderline high blood pressure so I end cutting the amount of salt in half anyhow and when I do use it..........it's the low sodium variety. But when I am cooking the in the kitchen...I use sea or kosher salt and use just a pinch here and there as well....and if what I am cooking calls for more I go back to the low sodium variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back