kingsford issues

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've had my WSM for almost a year now and have had good experiences using Kingsford. However, my current batch appears to be lacking in the Kingsford tradition.
My first obversation was in loading the chimney. The coals seemed to be less dense and very rough. Not the compact smooth product I'm used to.
I lit the chimney using the same method I have always used. Took the 30 minutes as usual but the level in the chimney had dropped to an inch below the top.
Threw it on and filled with unlit. After only 3 hours the ring was down to half full and the temp only 200. I added more unlit to try and get it going. Up to 220 with 2 vents wide open.
I've read that Kingsford has moved its production offshore but it would'nt affect quality.
I'm not so sure /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
Anyone else experienced this recent occurance?
Did I just get a bad bag?
Curious.

Last year I got a load that I think was damp - it would not burn correctly. I looked up the Kingsford web site and sent them a nice complaint. Several weeks later they sent me several cupons for a few free bags!

OK by me!

After reading several recent posts, I thought I'd bring this back on top.
I know a lot of you buy in bulk. I don't have storage and I buy bag by bag, so many of you don't have current production.
I'm not slamming Kingsford, for now anyway. But I have always trusted their quality. I have severe reservations now. My experience is; when a company goes offshore for their product, it takes years to make up for US quality.
That BGE extruded lump coconut is looking pretty good right now.
Took me 15 lbs to do a 4.5 picnic with the current version of Kingsford. Have'nt checked the leftover coals yet.
Still.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bob j:
[qb]My experience is; when a company goes offshore for their product, it takes years to make up for US quality.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You may be jumping to conclusions here...it's not as if Kingsford is no longer making charcoal in the U.S. It's my understanding that they had a fire that knocked out one of their production facilities, so they were using a foreign source to augment the supply.

It's said that you can differentiate the domestic Kingsford from foreign Kingsford by the plastic liner in the foreign product bag. I'd crack open the corner of the bag at the store to make sure there's no plastic liner before I bought it, then give it another shot.

Regards,
Chris

I thought the extruded lump was from Kamado. I think it's made offshore.... so some offshore is better than domestic....I am guessing some domestic is also better than others. Wad do ya think?

Kamado, yes. I know it's imported and appears to be a great product. I work in the PVF industry and can well state what "going offshore" can do to a products quality. Some foreign companies put out a product that domestic manufacturers can only drool over. It's all about profit. US companies want to add $$ to the bottom line. That means... no upgrades to antiquated equipment, systems, or facilities. We don't want to keep up so we whine about antidumping, etc.
Sorry, I digress.
No plastic in my bag and it has been kept behind closed doors in a very dry environment. As I stated, the current bag of briqs is decidedly less dense that what I'm used to. They appear to be somewhat smaller and have rough edges and stringy stuff coming out of them that I normally would'nt consider charcoal.
I'll get another bag and check it out; but I must I admit I'm skeptical.
Hey Keri.... Hows that about short posts? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back