Kingsford Competition Briquttes $3 a bag

TonyD

TVWBB Fan
Went to my local Home Depot store in Auburn, MA this weekend. They had a pallet display of competition briquttes for only $3.16 per bag. They didn't have any of these in the main grill aisle. Makes me think that these won't be available much longer. Has Kingsford discontinued them? By the way, I grabbed 5 bags...

Perhaps because we all grill year-round down here, but I never see these great sales on charcoal at HD, Lowes, Sam's, Wal-Mart or any where else! Believe me, I look! Glad you guys are getting some deals! TonyD, only 5 bags? I probably would have been trying to figure out where to put the whole pallet!

Pat

Your right. I was kicking myself as soon as I got home. Should have gabbed more! Maybe I'll stop by again this week on my way home from work.

I looked at our Home Depot acouple days ago because I heard a rumor of these great deals going on and they only had two 20lb bags for like 15$ I thought this was a deal But 3$ and some change is a steal! Im with Pat, How much for the whole pallet! haha

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TonyD:
Your right. I was kicking myself as soon as I got home. Should have gabbed more! Maybe I'll stop by again this week on my way home from work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually scored 46 bags.... Im set for the year and then some.

I actually posted this a couple weeks ago, and mentioned in that post that if it helps someone out, I would be willing to part with a few of these. Tony, I saw that you are in New England. I am in NH so if you cant find any more and you are in this area, I could sell you a few for the $3.16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luis L.:
Is their an actual ad for this price? Perhaps Lowes or another place can price match it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No ad, they are on clearance actually. I had two stores in my area that did not have them and one that did.

Went back to the Auburn, MA HD last night (3/1) for more. Still 3/4 of the pallet left at $3.16 each...And to clarify these are the 11lb bags. Also noticed that HD will be carrying cherry and apple wood chips and chunks this year. In the past all I could find at HD was hickory and mesquite.

finally got in on this deal. $2.33 a bag. i got 4 from one HD and 5 from another. going to check a few others tomorrow.

Anyone have an HD sku number? I'd like to call customer service to see which store may still have some bags left.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luis L.:
Anyone have an HD sku number? I'd like to call customer service to see which store may still have some bags left. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I was looking for the Kingsford Comp Charcoal, I went to the Van Nuys Home Depot. They didn't have any but they checked the inventory for Canoga Park and West Hills and found that each of those stores had over 25 bags. I drove to Canoga Park and although their inventory showed 26 bags, they didn't have a single one. They called over to West Hills, a store that had 33 bags according to inventory, and they also couldn't find a single bag.

For all I know, all those bags were up in the rafters in a stock room somewhere, but the employees had no idea how to find them if they were. And if they can't find them, they can't sell them to me for 2.32 per bag.

The bottom line is, apparently checking inventory doesn't mean much on clearance items.

Bill

WOW! That's insane! I'm not sure on the price, but I saw an add for a sale on K Comp at Costco in this week's ad book. I'll check it out and will make a stop at HD as well.

This being my first real year into BBQ, it really amazed me how much the price changes with the seasons. I was buying Blue K for $8 or something like that for two bags at HD in the summer. Now it's $16. My numbers may be off, but it's definitely nowhere close in terms of the price.

Thanks for the heads up!

Single 20lb bags of blue K are 15-20$ where i live. These crazy prices above make me want to cry when I pay $20 for one bag!

I need to go to Home Depot in a little bit and will see what it is going for here. The best prices I have seen on Kingsford the last couple of years has been on every holiday during the summer. That is the time to stock up

Do you guys like this charcoal? I bought a bunch of it a while back when Costco had it on sale and I hate the stuff. It smokes really bad when starting up and it made a bad aftertaste when I cooked with it low and slow. I still use what I have left, I just use it for grilling now though.

I agree John, I just use it for grilling. I like it for that though. It's incredibly easy to light especially with a blow torch. It takes about 30 seconds. It burns really hot and sears really nice. It does leave a lot of ash and it smokes a lot too. For smoking I stick with Stubbs on sale and TJ's Rancher briquettes. For grilling when the price is right I will keep useing it. I might be getting more when the #18 bags at Costco go on sale on the 10th along with some tri tips. If it's $13.50 or less for an #18 twin pack or 36 pounds I will buy it. I also like that it doesn't have the chemicals like borax the blue has.

My stupid memory is so horrible that I can't recall the reasoning, but I do know that the one time I bought this I said "I'm not buying that again". But...I figure that since I can't remember why I didn't like it, it couldn't have been horrible enough to pass up $3/bag.

Right??? If I buy some I think I'll start with a bag or two...give it another shot before I fill my garage with something I end up hating.

Thanks!

Back