Kickin Pastrami (w pics)

Josh Z.

TVWBB Pro
I used the pastrami recipe on this website and cured it for four days..... This went over very well with not only my wife and myself but both sides of the family. THIS IS A MUST MAKE if you haven't done it. Hardest part was fining Mortons Tenderquick. I found it at a Sulivans grocery store in DeKalb, IL.

Pastrami

Thanks and enjoy,
Josh

Very nice! I think if I pulled some homemade pastrami out of the fridge, my dad and brother would keel over with joy. I'm still on the hunt for some quality brisket (that doesn't cost an arm and a leg) and I will try this out! I been keeping an eye open for tenderquick as well but have come up empty so far.

The cure looks perfect-- sometimes the recommended 3 days is not enough for it to penetrate all the way to the center of some flats. If your four-day cured pastrami seems a bit too salty to you, an extra 30-minute fresh water soak before cooking can help.

I find the flats at WalMart ( Destin FL )
cryovac section called Brisket Roast ......
Which is the flats with a thin fat cap.

Yes I know Wallys meat is NG but the flats are
great for maken corned beef or pastrami.

This was a Sam's Cryovac Brisket Flat. It probably could have stood for a little trimming, but it wasn't too bad seeing as it cured with no problem even in the thickest spots. No complaints with the quality of the meat or the results.

Josh

I've found Tender Quick at (believe it or not) farm supply (Feed & Seed) places. You can also order it from Morton. I've ordered from them before when I couldn't find it locally

Matt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Burmeister:
I find the flats at WalMart ( Destin FL )
cryovac section called Brisket Roast ......
Which is the flats with a thin fat cap.

Yes I know Wallys meat is NG but the flats are
great for maken corned beef or pastrami. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know Jim, I buy all my choice packers and flats from Wal Mart. Never got a bad one yet. With a price of $1.28 lb i'll continue to buy them.
I finally got around to making the pastrami after an 11 month delay.
icon_rolleyes.gif
It is fantastic and i'll be making it again soon and often.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bryan,

You've been curing a pastrami for 11 months
icon_eek.gif

How'd the cure take
icon_wink.gif

Honestly, I'm glad you tried it out... I'm gonna fire up a second one here real soon. Everybody was impressed with teh results.

Josh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josh Z.:
Bryan,

You've been curing a pastrami for 11 months
icon_eek.gif

How'd the cure take
icon_wink.gif

Honestly, I'm glad you tried it out... I'm gonna fire up a second one here real soon. Everybody was impressed with teh results.

Josh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LMAO! No i started a thread about where to find Tender Quick almost 11 months ago Here. Well i found the Tender Quick the next day but never made the Pastrami. It turned out very, very good almost awsome. I was surprised on how tender it is because of what i have read about it. I cured mine for 3 days and the cure went the whole way through. Was a little worried that it might have not. I only flipped it once a day. I'll be making this on a regular basis. :cool
meatscore013.jpg

Josh and Bryan - what temp did you end up taking your pastrami to? Did you do 165, like Chris shows in the cooking section, or did you do it higher to a normal brisket temperature?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adamclyde:
Josh and Bryan - what temp did you end up taking your pastrami to? Did you do 165, like Chris shows in the cooking section, or did you do it higher to a normal brisket temperature? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
165 Bud. I followed the recipe to a T except for the turning part.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I avereaged temps of 160-170 so I called it 165 and pulled it. It was everything I'd expect in a pastrami and MORE! *Hear the voice in your head?..... GO MAKE PASTRAMI*

Josh

I know... I need to.

I smoked a corned beef brisket a few months back to make a pseudo pastrami. It was awesome. Now I need to try the real thing...

Back