Key West Citrus Barbecue Sauce

I'm joining the legions that want a report on using this sauce. But I agree with @Randy G , sounds like a lot of work. Egad, your DH had to venture out just to get ingredients! I live 15 minutes from anywhere, 25 minutes from everywhere. Not gonna happen.

DH grilled some chicken thighs. VERY HAPPY TO SAY........the sauce is very delicious. We both like it very much.

1659917136613.png

DH says it was NOT that much work. We had most of the ingredients on hand, just needed a couple of the juices. He made 1/2 the recipe. I'm sure we will have a lot of uses for what is left.

Hi neighbor, thanks for both offers, lol

One of my first memories of my first visit to Fl was sitting at a kitchen sink, eating mango's like crazy with the juices running all over my arms. I think I was around 6 or 7. Have been a mango lover ever since. You are soo lucky to have mango trees. It's been quite a lot of years since we had any fruit trees. Used to also grow our own papaya's. Mmmm!!
We are very lucky. We have mangos. Neighbors have avocado & papaya. And, we know a guy who gets jackfruit.
Head down to some of the farms in Homestead and I can probably source it all in one shot for a reasonable price.

Yes, between available recipes and individual imagination, there are immense opportunities for delicious eating. When I want to fix something, I typically read 4 or 5 recipes, then pick and choose from them and may add based on my own taste. Frequently that involves more heat.

Yes, between available recipes and individual imagination, there are immense opportunities for delicious eating. When I want to fix something, I typically read 4 or 5 recipes, then pick and choose from them and may add based on my own taste. Frequently that involves more heat.
I know, I can't believe you like things as hot as you do.:eek:

Actually, Joan, a stomach incident with excess habanero has caused me to tone things down a bit. I'm more inclined for spicy hot, though my wife does say my food is untouchable. Since her alpha-gal prevents her from eating what I fix regardless, that doesn't hold me back.

Years back a doctor had me on a heavy dose of indomethecin (another nsaid) to try to halt a bad gout attack. (Gout now controlled well with allopurinol.) The nsaid dosage caused me some significant and painful stomach issues causing the docs to now declare indomethecin as an allergy for me. It was similar to the excess habanero impact. So no more recipes with 5 or 6 habaneros for me. 1 or 2 is my limit. :LOL:

1660004355581.png

Tonight's dinner, very good, but could have used a little more sauce, (we do have enough-lol) So, chicken last night, pork tonight, will there be something with beef tomorrow night?

Last edited:
Joan,

I made the sauce Key West BBQ sauce yesterday in 1/2 size like ya'll did. It still made a lot of sauce. I made some substitutions on some of the juices but It was pretty close to your original recipe. If I do it again, I'll plan a little better and get as many fresh ingredients as I can. The work is not necessarily in all the ingredients but the juicing requires a little more time than a normal sauce.

This sauce had a lot of "twang" (yes....real word) to it considering it didn't have any vinegar.....which we like. I was able to do fresh onion juice, lemon and lime but store bought containers on the grapefruit, ,mango, orange and pineapple (used orange-pineapple mixed juice for this). I could not find passion fruit in anything other than a 1 gallon container so it got skipped this time. Also, subbed molasses for cane syrup. So.....we were kinda close.
The one thing I screwed up on is I over-shot the cornstarch amount and it got thick like a BBQ brownie mix. I watered it back down a little and it was fine. We decided to do wings and use the sauce to hit them at the end.

Startup - KBB Pro with chunk of pecan
Startup.jpg
Below is about 45 mins in. Cooking around 375 at this point and wings have been flipped once.
45 min.jpg
Below wings have been sauced one time. My sauce was extra-thick but it glazed up well. I didn't get a final shot OFF the grill but did add a little more sauce.
Finish.jpg
Overall, everyone liked the sauce. It seemed to have more spice to it when tasted by itself but was good on the wings. We'll be using the leftover on something else as well.

Thank you!!!!!!!! DH made a few changes in our version also. Hard not too with so many ingredients. Lemon and lime juice was the only one fresh, rest came from Publix. lol

DH would like to know what type of grill you used.

Last edited:
I have the Summit grilling station (Kamado). I build it similar to what the Kettle pros do with the Vortex.......hot coals in the center and meat around perimeter.

Back