3/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup pineapple juice
1 1/2 TB. dry mustard
1/2 TB. white pepper
1/2 tsp. red pepper
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
4-5 TB. cornstarch

1. Combine all of the ingredients, except the cornstarch, in a large glass or ceramic bowl, mixing well with a spoon until fully blended. Pour the sauce into a large glass or ceramic pot, add 2 TB. of cornstarch and cook over low heat until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. It should cover a spoon dipped into it like a very thick syrup. If the sauce is still too thin, slowly add more cornstarch, 1/2 TB. at a time, stirring, until you reach the desired thickness.
2. Take the sauce off the heat and cool it, uncovered. When the sauce is cool, pour it into sealable jars or plastic containers. This brightly colored and tangy sauce can be used as a marinade, basting sauce, or warm it to room temperature and serve on the table with the entree.
3. If using on pork or poultry while cooking add only during the last 5-10 minutes of the cooking time, otherwise the sugars will burn and you will get a bitter, black coating that is not attractive and will spoil your barbecue efforts. Makes 10 cups

Source: Rick Browne

Last edited:
Very nice sounding recipe.

I'm going to mod it by buying 2 pints of 2 juices or mixed fruit nectars, because we are not big juice drinkers at home. Should still come out tasty/

I lack Joan’s patience and ambition.
So what’s a good substitute for onion juice? Can I just put an onion in a food processor for an extended spin?

So what’s a good substitute for onion juice? Can I just put an onion in a food processor for an extended spin?
Extract the juice out of the onion by either squeezing it or using a juicer. Another option is placing the onion pieces into a blender and blending into a paste. Place the paste in cheesecloth and squeeze all the juice out.

What is this all about? I thought that SOMEONE who sees this recipe will be interested in making it. Some people like a challenge, some people like something different once in awhile. Some people like to make their own food. If this does not appeal to you, just skip right on by this thread. I'm not forcing anyone to make this.;):D

Yes and then squeeze the pulp to render the onion juice. Easily done with a food processor.

The only information that I had about this recipe was that it came from Rick Browne. On doing a search, I think it came out of his cookbook, "The Ultimate Guide to Grilling" pub. 2011. I don't have this cookbook. If anyone does, would you mind checking and see if this recipe is in the book and does he say anything about making it? I would appreciate it.

This might be a little too soon to post this, but I can't believe this. DH JUST left for the store to buy a few things that we need and some of the things are for this recipe. :eek: He really wants to make this tomorrow, only he wants to make 1/4 of it. We have some left over pork and some rolls. You see where this is going. lol

We have had good luck with a lot of Rick Browne's recipes, so hopefully, this will be a good one also. ;)

UPDATE!!!!!

DH is making the sauce now.

This morning we had BLT's on hamburger rolls for breakfast. DH does not want the rolls for dinner, so change of plans. Taking boneless chicken thighs out of the freezer. More later. lol

I’m placing my down payment for 6 bottles Joan! Willing to send you mangos too if needed. (We have mango trees)

I’m placing my down payment for 6 bottles Joan! Willing to send you mangos too if needed. (We have mango trees)
Hi neighbor, thanks for both offers, lol

One of my first memories of my first visit to Fl was sitting at a kitchen sink, eating mango's like crazy with the juices running all over my arms. I think I was around 6 or 7. Have been a mango lover ever since. You are soo lucky to have mango trees. It's been quite a lot of years since we had any fruit trees. Used to also grow our own papaya's. Mmmm!!

Back