Kettle surface temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny W

Hey all - Anyone happen to know, or could find out with relative ease, or have an educated guess as to what the surface temperature of a kettle can get up to, under normal direct grilling conditions? Not sure if the outside of the bowl could ever get hotter than the ambient temperature inside (thinking this is in the 500-550 range at maximum?), but I know the coals themselves reach 1000 or so. I'm noodling with some ideas for setting my 26 (and some other misc. Weber parts) into a countertop and would like to know what kind of direct surface temps I would need to shield the counter against - which will help determine choice of materials and shielding methods, etc. If it helps, I typically bank my coals on side for two zone grilling. If anyone has a thought please share - thanks!

most pics that i've seen, the gap around the kettle is about 1" or so. many times the cut out is trimmed with some metal. try and look up "kettle table" .

Not sure if this will help you Dan, but the old Imperil Sequoia made by Weber, was set in a wood table on brackets with an air-space, with a metal band to shield the wood. There was a thread on that with a pic somewhere?
Okay here's the pic.
If your doing a tight drop in, cement board and metal studs would be my choice.

Tim

Here's a link to the table with pics that I built earlier this year. I had one hot-spot on the side that I normally bank the coals, but I've lined that side with firebricks and that seemed to help.

Kettle table

I built this table last summer and I can see the concrete board and mortar I used is starting to break down on the side I bank the coals. Other than that, it is holding up well.
If I had to do it over again I'd use a stone countertop like granite or use refractory mortar when using tiles.
I would also create some airspace to keep both the kettle and the countertop from overheating.

P1030647.jpg

Thanks to all for the thoughts and suggestions. I had exhaustively researched the topic previously (actually running into George's, J's, and Timothy's examples in the process), and this was how I came to decide I wanted to start with specs and tolerances and let them lead into my choices for materials and construction. If anyone knows the surface temp of the kettle bowl at peak temp, or could reasonably guess, please let me know - and barring that I'll just get the right tool for the job and get a reading myself, and get back to the group with what I learned. Thanks!

Know anybody with one of those infrared thermometers for measuring surface temperature??

I think the Tru Tel folks sell one. Might be more than you want to pay for a single project, but if you had one, I'll bet you can find some other things to do with it!

Pat

Danny - as Pat brought up, I've got an infrared therm. When I fire her up later today for an oyster roast, I'll take some measurements and let you know. Preferably with coals banked on one side at high heat.

I did it previously for giggles, but I can't remember what temp ranges. I do know that many people worry about having their WSM on the porch due to the heat, and when I took temps on the concrete underneath mine it was surprisingly colder than expected.

I'll do the same when I fire up my kettle this weekend. I'll take temp readings under the table.
I just got an infrared thermometer for my brick pizza oven I'm constructing.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back