Kettle pizza oven

Originally posted by AJ S.:
Pretty cheap if the conversion rate from South African currency is accurate. If I recall it was like $36 US not including shipping.
At that price, I would buy one tomorrow.

Well if you, me, and Shaun all want one, we can combine shipping and split it? Just a thought.

Originally posted by Daniel S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Holat:
http://kettlepizza.com

While I own neither, this product looks a lot like a rotisserie ring. What I'd love to see is a rotisserie with a removable door for grilling pizza.

I will have to try pizza soon on my OTG. In the oven I have had good success using no-knead pizza dough, prebake the crust a little, add toppings and bake again.

The suggestions to use CI pans are helpful too. Afterall, no-knead bread recipes commonly use CI dutch ovens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here are pics of my roticerrie mod to my pizza kettle kit. I cooked a 10# prime rib on it Christmas day and it worked perfectly.

DSCI0026.jpg

DSCI0025.jpg

DSCI0023.jpg

First, let me welcome you to the to the site Paul.
Second, great job on the mod. Do you seal off the opening during Roto. cooks?

I used foil and covered up the opening. Since the kettle reached over 700 degrees, I'm not sure if I even needed to cover the opening.

I just tried pizza for the first time tonight. My wife cooked hers on a pan and the crust came out well.
I put mine directly on the stone and the crust burned.
So time,along with trial and error will tell.

Hello,

This kettle pizza thingy looks really interesting, unfortunatley I can't buy it here in Sweden.

Has anyone tried to make it as a DIY project? It doesn't seem that hard really or am I missing something?

If someone could help me with the thickness of the metal in the ring as well as the height of the ring I would really appreciate it!

Regards, Olle

Thanks!

I've seen that topic but I was surprised to see that noone tried to replicate the kettle pizza for pizza baking but the roteserie and kettle pizza are basicaly the same thing...

If someone could help me with the height of the original pizza kettle mod it would be helpful but I guess I could make a qualified guess from the pictures
icon_smile.gif

,Olle

How much fuel do you guys use and how do you place it in the bottom?

I've been having a problem reaching high temperatures. The thermometer says around 750, but my infrared gun says the stone is 450 and inside of the lid are around 550. I've been a heaping Weber starter full of Kingsford and 2-3 small hickory logs. It seems once the stone, insert, and lid are on that the fuel is just really oxygen starved.

Tonight was an improvement. The crust cooked nicely on bottom, but I couldn't get the pizza to brown as much as I like, even with holding the pizza on the paddle up in the hot lid area, as-shown in the instructional youtube video.

Interesting second review. Looking at the pictures, I think I may see why I'm having trouble with my Kettle Pizza. On the Weber Performer the Kettle Pizza sits lower creating a more narrow slot. When I see the height of of the slot in the latest photos, it's much higher than what I have.

I have a stainless K-P that we got for me in June 2011. It has the "HOT" cut-out, etc. Has it changed since then?

Frankly, the three times that I used it last summer/fall were not stellar; I had good results on 1 out of the 3. My take on the whole thing was that it wasn't worth the fuss, consuming a large amount of charcaol and lump and an inability to make more than 1 or 2 pies because of heat loss.

Also, the Super Peel didn't work for me, mostly because the combined thickness of the S-P and the height of the pie made it difficult to get the pies onto the stone.

I know that others have had better success, but Cooking pies is something you do for groups and it's been a crappy, cold/wet winter and spring here in Seattle and my family is now just me, unless others pop over (my daughter's getting married and my wife passed away...)

I have a new Char-broil Commercial Tru-Infrared grill that works superbly with temps up to 700F using natural gas. I plan on rigging a stone hanging from the lid and a stone on the grill and seeing how that works. The heat radiats from an emitter below the grill surface that spreads the heat with no hot or cold spots, no flare ups either.

For now, my Kettle Pizza is simply sitting on the deck...

icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by TonyReynolds:
Interesting second review. Looking at the pictures, I think I may see why I'm having trouble with my Kettle Pizza. On the Weber Performer the Kettle Pizza sits lower creating a more narrow slot. When I see the height of of the slot in the latest photos, it's much higher than what I have.

I have a stainless K-P that we got for me in June 2011. It has the "HOT" cut-out, etc. Has it changed since then?

Frankly, the three times that I used it last summer/fall were not stellar; I had good results on 1 out of the 3. My take on the whole thing was that it wasn't worth the fuss, consuming a large amount of charcaol and lump and an inability to make more than 1 or 2 pies because of heat loss.

Also, the Super Peel didn't work for me, mostly because the combined thickness of the S-P and the height of the pie made it difficult to get the pies onto the stone.

I know that others have had better success, but Cooking pies is something you do for groups and it's been a crappy, cold/wet winter and spring here in Seattle and my family is now just me, unless others pop over (my daughter's getting married and my wife passed away...)

I have a new Char-broil Commercial Tru-Infrared grill that works superbly with temps up to 700F using natural gas. I plan on rigging a stone hanging from the lid and a stone on the grill and seeing how that works. The heat radiats from an emitter below the grill surface that spreads the heat with no hot or cold spots, no flare ups either.

For now, my Kettle Pizza is simply sitting on the deck...

icon_frown.gif
Tony, if you ever get the urge to sell let me know. Would possibly be interested.

Got one of these for Father's Day and used it last night for the first time. Not bad but definitely needs some tweaking. Will post pics when I figure out how.

Originally posted by Steve Holat:
Kenji kept experimenting until he got it right.
See the embedded links within the article for previous attempts.
The Pizza Lab: In Which We Get The KettlePizza Insert Working And Meet Its Maker

I bought another grate to put on top of it but only wrapped it in tin foil, no extra stone on top. 1/2 chimney of Kingsford competition and one full chimney of lump, 4 pieces of mesquite chunks. Melted the tin foil and burned a pizza within 90 seconds. Must have been 900 degrees.

Took the top grate off and second pizza cooked in about 3 minutes, but top not cooked as much as bottom.

Third pizza had the extra grate back on top and cooked for one minute then I lifted it up with the peel closer to the top to get away from fire and brown the top. Fire was still hot, but not as it was on first pizza. Best pizza of the night.

Got too drunk to make the fourth pizza.

I was almost 100 degrees outside yesterday with no wind. Going to try again tonite with less charcoal and tin foiled top grate.

Thinking about having a stainless steel piece made the same diameter as the Kettle Pizza for the top of it. Any suggestions on gauge and grade of steel?

Thinking about having a stainless steel piece made the same diameter as the Kettle Pizza for the top of it. Any suggestions on gauge and grade of steel?
Based upon things I've read (no personal practical experience) wouldn't bother with the cost of SS. I'd try just a piece of .25 inch A36 Hot Rolled Steel Plate.

Back