Kettle Fried Chicken

ChuckH

TVWBB Super Fan
OK I have watched every YouTube video I can find about KFC, and It sounds like a very good way to prepare chicken. I have never made it, and am going to give it a go this weekend. The question I have for any that have made it, is there any advice, tricks or recipes that were stand out, and helped?

I do wings, thighs & drumsticks with "Louisiana Seasoned Crispy Chicken Fry" batter mix via my Vortex. I am very pleased with the outcome!

I think Rich Dahl has posted several threads on this. I have tried the method once (before getting my Vortex) and results were good with a “wet/dry” egg wash/breading. But, if you like more “crispy” I would go “dry/ wet/dry”method. Flour,(breading mix), egg wash, breading mix. That will increase the delicious crust!
I think that this kind of thing is where the Vortex really shines!

I've been making KFC for a couple of years and have tried a variety of coatings and methods from commercially made coatings to panko with my own seasonings. Dry/wet/dry works very well, but my favorite is really simple. I coat the chicken with mustard almost any will work I just use yellow mustard and Louisiana fish fry coating. Nice flavor and perfect crispness, quick and easy and no mess.
Also if your doing it for the first time on a kettle don't grab the lid handle with your bare hand..... You might end up with crispy skin too.:(

Can’t bring myself to buy one, I will try to make them at work one day and see how I do.
Agreed that it is a little steep for what it is. But it is a game changer for bone in skin on chicken. Whether you make one or buy one, you will be glad you did. If you have access to sheets of SS and a spot welder you should be able to make one no problem.

I finally got around to making KFC the other day, and it was very good. I did not use package breading. Instead I opted to use seasoned flour. Salt, pepper, onion powder and a pinch of cayenne. Used my Vortex on my MT. Was really impressed how good it turned out. The Votex is really worth every penny, especially if you don’t have the means to make one yourself.

Back