Kettle design and charcoal usage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TristanH

Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a 18.5" WSM and have been thinking of adding a 22.5" OTG to the stable.

I've never used a kettle grill before, but my dad has a Go-Anywhere charcoal that I've used many times.

My question is how much charcoal am I going to have to use if I just want to sear a couple steaks? Am I going to have to pile half a bag just to get the heat close enough to the grill? Or is this not the case for some reason? It seems to me it would be more efficient to have a somewhat shallower charcoal bowl on these.

Love Weber products, just wondering about the bulbous design.

Thanks for any opinions
Tristan

usually you will need a weber chimney full. you just can't go wrong with a kettle. that being said, if ya want to grill up just a few steaks then maybe just get a smokey joe silver and use some lomp. does a mean steak.

george is absolutely correct, a smoky joe will do the job.
i, however, always find something else to add to the grill with the steaks... i.e. halved onions, peppers, quartered Yukons... (the list is endless
icon_biggrin.gif
) butt then, i'm always hungry!
Welcome to the addiction Tristan,... i'd go with the 22.5" OTG or Silver or any Weber, for that matter, and load it up with food! And, a full Weber Charcoal Chimney is good enuf.
Enjoy!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

If you want the coals closer to the cooking grate all you need is a set of Weber Kettle Charcoal Rails and a second charcoal grate. Put the rails in like you are banking the coals off to the side. Then place the second charcoal grate on top of them. The hot coals will go on the second grate. When you add the cooking grate the hot coals will be only an inch or so away from it. I have found for 2-3 steaks you only need half a chimney of charcoal. The indirect heat will still be enough to grill some veggies off to the side.
The secret is that getting close to the coals will allow for a good sear creating that awesome crust.

I use a full chimney of charcoal and just shut the vents down when I'm done. Fire chokes out pretty quickly. If just grilling a couple steaks, I usually have half a chimney left for the next cook.

Thanks for the replies guys.

A little smokey joe would get the job done some of the time, but I'm sure I'll end up wanting more. I'll likely get the 22.5" OTG.

Tristan

Originally posted by Timothy Hoffman:
If you want the coals closer to the cooking grate all you need is a set of Weber Kettle Charcoal Rails and a second charcoal grate.

That's a good tip Timothy!
icon_cool.gif

I'm going to try that on my SJP, to raise the coals up more towards the side vents.
Thanks for that one!
icon_smile.gif

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TristanH:...but I'm sure I'll end up wanting more.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_biggrin.gif
We always want more!

With the 18" I use a half chimney, and with the 22" a full chimney. Bank the coals to one side, you'll end up with a hot direct cooking zone to sear the steaks, and a more sedate indirect cooking zone to bring them up to temp. Easy.

The same thing works with a smokey joe - if I'm just cooking for myself that's what I use. But it just takes a few coals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TristanH:
Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a 18.5" WSM and have been thinking of adding a 22.5" OTG to the stable.

I've never used a kettle grill before, but my dad has a Go-Anywhere charcoal that I've used many times.

My question is how much charcoal am I going to have to use if I just want to sear a couple steaks? Am I going to have to pile half a bag just to get the heat close enough to the grill? Or is this not the case for some reason? It seems to me it would be more efficient to have a somewhat shallower charcoal bowl on these.

Love Weber products, just wondering about the bulbous design.

Thanks for any opinions
Tristan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tristan:

I'm a bit late, but if you take this link, and then select the link on that page entitled "Charcoal Owners Guide", you can download a PDF file that contains tables with considerable info with respect to amount of charcoal required for different foods on different style Weber Grills. It's official title is Charcoal Grill Owner's Guide & Recipes. Here's the link:

http://www.weber.com/support/manuals/?id=1

Regards,

Rooster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back