Lance L

TVWBB Fan
Option #1 Direct Heat

null_zps7b14cefd.jpg

Option #2 Smokeing "Smokenator"

null_zpsdb90d837.jpg

Option #3 Indirect Heat "Charcoal Baskets"

null_zpsbf162897.jpg

So if you had 6hrs and the cooking options above what would you pick to cook and what option would you use to cook it?

are we talking one cook or multiples? for one cook it'd be option 2 and a small pork but. for multiples, option 3 with chicken wings for lunch and ribs for dinner.

Great ideas so far.

I'm new to the whole outdoor cooking thing so I'm looking for multiple ideas so I can start changing it up a bit.

basically this system for just about everything except direct and even then I could do direct over the coals as they sit.
http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/mbshop-wheels/Picture690.jpg

This system works great! I use it often.
Just did a pork belly & maintained 180* to 200* with ease for 3 hours.
Your Smokenator will work fine also. Have fun!!

@John- I use 2 red clay bricks wrapped in foil. They're thicker than Fire Bricks so take up a bit more space.

Yep, I use two cement bricks wrapped in foil. And foil the bottom grate. There is almost NOTHING that setup can't cook...

That's probably the most efficient way to operate the kettle. I love to use fire brick. It's amazing how evenly they will cook when set up this way. I think the most important part of the setup is the foil covering the charcoal grate blocking the air from coming up except through where the coals are burning. This method allows for easier temperature management with less fuel being burned. The fire brick then provide an even heat source.
I've adapted the foil set-up to use on my pizza kettle as well.

Lance my guess is that may have been an old post made by Jim Lamp. This system really does work well.
Here are some ideas along similar lines.
Got this from Larry_C. Note the cooking great is upside down. You can open one or both sides of the grate. Foil underneath. Two optional firebrick. Can set a drip pan on top.
IMG_0533_zps8b6ea9a8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Three fire brick on the 26, foil underneath using a drip pan
IMG_0949_zps6adc6e45.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
A simple set up for the 18 OTG
IMG_0020_zpsdcb97bf2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
A charcoal basket designed to protect the porcelain walls of your kettle
IMG_0634_zps96212dbf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0512_zps281dee04.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
and something you may not have seen before....cross flow on a Weber Kettle
IMG_0645_zps05810027.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0517_zps1aae5709.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Kettles are amazing cookers and the 26 is the ultimate.

Last edited:
I saw a post a while back where a guy put coal ring in his kettle then put coal around it to create a snake then placed a pizza pan on top of that to block the direct heat from hitting the meat above.

Anyone know the post I'm talking about? I can't find it.

I saw a post a while back where a guy put coal ring in his kettle then put coal around it to create a snake then placed a pizza pan on top of that to block the direct heat from hitting the meat above.

Lance I saw the post you are referring to. It might have been made by Mark. I think it had to do with managing kettle temps or something like that.

This is the way I do most of my indirect cooking. I always do my country ribs this way.
ry%3D480

It's an easy setup, and I run between 300 and 350 for about 4 strong hours with 1 full Weber normal sized chimney.
As a mater of fact I don't think I've done a lot of direct cooking on the Performer, I use the gasser for that, and I use a smoker(because I didn't know about the smoke attachment) Don't tell the wife.

Lance it's linked in this thread

I'm going to try a simialr set up except with an 18 kettle. Just need to find me a pan about 14-16 inches

Back