Keri C's Apple Juice Brined Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooops.... sorry 'bout that.

Just looking out for your safety. (Should of looked a little closer.)

Good luck!

I'm using a Turkey Oven Bag. Works great. Very durable.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

No prob, Rob, whatever it takes to keep someone from having a little "turkey revenge". I have a nice food grade plastic container that I got specifically for brining large items. Should fit in a cooler nicely. Can't wait to hear how your experiment turns out.

Rob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> A lot of brining recipes call for heating the liquid to dissolve the salt. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I do is to take just enough liquid to heat up and dissolve the salt and sugar (about 1 qt.) and keep the rest in the frig. After I'm done heating the liquid, I add the rest of the cold liquid from the frig to cool it off right away. If you are using water, you can use ice cubes instead.

Thanks all for your patience...So I have two chimneys of fired up Kingsford, I dump them into the Smoker with a foil lined, empty pan. Do I immediately put the wood on, assemble the smoker, and with bottom vents all 1/2 open put the Turkey on. Is that how I will cook the Turkey at 325-340? I am just afraid I will end up getting way to hot? Seems like two chimneys in my Kettle turns into a furnace…

Todd, Yes put the wood on in the begining and remember to start closing the vents when the temp hits 300 or so. Don't wait till it reaches 325 - 340. You'll be fine. Bryan

Thanks Bryan, I love to cook for my family, but guests cause me to panic....can't order pizza on thanksgiving!

For Thanksgiving, did one turkey in the oven, conventionally, and breast, thighs, and drums in the WSM, both with this brine. The oven version was good, but couldn't compare to the smoked pieces. Awesome!

Question: Will be doing a bunch of chicken thighs tomorrow. What is your experience with this brine on chicken? How long for pieces (thighs) in the brine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back