Keeping the inside of my weber clean?

KMiller

Hi,
This is my first post here, and I am also new to owning a weber grill. I've had my Genesis II E-310 since March and I absolutely love it! My only issue, is that I don't feel like I know how to properly clean the inside of the grill. I'm not talking about the cooking grates or the flavorizer bars, or the burners, but i'm talking about the back and side walls of the inside of the grill (I think it's called the grill box?) Anyways, I've got a little bit of build up on these back and side walls and I wasn't sure what the best method is to clean these areas. I tried just some soap / water (dawn dish soap because I figured it would help cut the grease) but I didn't seem to have much luck. I didn't want to be incredibly aggressive and use steel wool or an S.O.S. pad as I was worried I would scratch the finish. What are your recommendations? I've included two pictures from last night so that you can see what I'm talking about. Thank you!

2j60g2q.jpg

309qxr8.jpg

Last edited:
What Larry said. I've rehabbed some 15 -20 year old grills that I'm sure the box was never cleaned and they a lot of gunk built up on the walls and they still cooked fine.

I would just pull the "guts" of the grill out. The heat sheilds, flavorizer bars, cooking grates and scrape it down 2-3 times a year or when needed with a 2" putty knife. All you need to do is get the main gunk off to allieviate grease fires. The rest is "seasoning" as stated above. The cook box in your picktures looks like it should look after the first time you used it. It doesn't ever need to look that clean ever again.

If you want to clean it that much, that is fine. I rehab weber grills and take an angle grinder and wire cup brush to them and take them back down to the nice shiny bare aluminum. I do that because it is appealing to customers and they really don't care for some other guys road kill coating their new to them Weber grill.

I have a Genesis 1000 that I rehabbed for myself last spring. Since then, the only cleaning to the cook box has been with a putty knife two times since then. No detergents, cleaners or other chemicals. Just the putty knife and it takes 15 minutes.

THat is a grill, not the kitchen range.

Back