Keeping the E6 lower bowl clean

SteveEd

TVWBB Member
When I asked about cooking chicken over the coals in another thread Darryl-swazies warned about grease dripping into the ashes and clumping making a mess down low where the intake vents and ash cleaning blades are located. I responded to Darryl saying I've got that issue in my Pit Barrel using the optional ash pan. The clumps are surprisingly hard but can be scraped out. Unlike the E6 the PBC has no vent holes to be covered by ash/grease clumps and no One Touch system so it's not an issue during a cook.

I know that a lot of you are doing mostly indirect cooking with either the diffuser or a drip pan both of which will prevent grease from dripping into the coals and ashes. But what about when you cook over the coals? The E6 offers an upper coal grate position so I'm wondering if grease clumps become an issue when grilling like this? Will using the ash scraper during cooks keep the clumps in check? If there are any clumps remaining once the cooker cools down will the ash scraper still be effective or do hardened grease/ash clumps sometimes inhibit their movement? Can clumps interfere with the vent holes under the fuel grate during a cook? I've never found any references to this anywhere on the Net so maybe this is needless worry.

That's enough.

When I asked about cooking chicken over the coals in another thread Darryl-swazies warned about grease dripping into the ashes and clumping making a mess down low where the intake vents and ash cleaning blades are located. I responded to Darryl saying I've got that issue in my Pit Barrel using the optional ash pan. The clumps are surprisingly hard but can be scraped out. Unlike the E6 the PBC has no vent holes to be covered by ash/grease clumps and no One Touch system so it's not an issue during a cook.

I know that a lot of you are doing mostly indirect cooking with either the diffuser or a drip pan both of which will prevent grease from dripping into the coals and ashes. But what about when you cook over the coals? The E6 offers an upper coal grate position so I'm wondering if grease clumps become an issue when grilling like this? Will using the ash scraper during cooks keep the clumps in check? If there are any clumps remaining once the cooker cools down will the ash scraper still be effective or do hardened grease/ash clumps sometimes inhibit their movement? Can clumps interfere with the vent holes under the fuel grate during a cook? I've never found any references to this anywhere on the Net so maybe this is needless worry.

That's enough.
when i've used briqs, there was more clumping in my observations than lump charcoal. if i see clumping i just scrape the clumps out so as to avoid buildups over time.

i use these to scrape the bottom bowl and they work well, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXDFVMG/?tag=tvwb-20

i'll likely use a degreaser soon to get back to a factory finish before i get into my heavy cooking season which starts now and goes into November.

i found that briqs encourage clumping with fatty meats (birds, steaks and butt chunks for char siu). my first cleanup has some good chunks stuck into the lower cookbowl. these scrapers made good time of removing them without too much elbow grease.

the ash scraper will not do a great job of removing/displacing set on clumps. i'd recco you scrape them off one a month or every few weeks or so. i have found the lower vents to not become impeded with buildup with consistent sweeping of the ash.

I've used briqs exclusively on the PBC. Just limited experience with lump on other cookers. Sounds like lump is the way to go on the WSK. I've gotten used to scraping the ash pan of the PBC before each use so scraping the WSK every now and then shouldn't be a big deal. I've got a scraper almost identical to the one you linked to, Brett. Glad to hear the vents are not a problem. That was my biggest concern.

I've used briqs exclusively on the PBC. Just limited experience with lump on other cookers. Sounds like lump is the way to go on the WSK. I've gotten used to scraping the ash pan of the PBC before each use so scraping the WSK every now and then shouldn't be a big deal. I've got a scraper almost identical to the one you linked to, Brett. Glad to hear the vents are not a problem. That was my biggest concern.
you can use briq. briq does just fine in the WSC/WSK (both are the same). MY only issue with briq, and this is me and my preferences, is that briqs dump too much ash and the flavor and smoke quality isn't the profile i was seeking. i'd recco you try a few different fuels and find one you like best.

cleanup on JDXL is near zero. i like near zero. cleanup on KPro (Kingsford Pro bag from Costco) is a lot of ash. around 19% of KPro briqs is binder so that's how much it poops ash. i DO NOT like the smell of Kpro and find its flavor less than appealing to me. i DO like Cowboy briqs for burgers, specifically, as they have a decent flavor and slightly less ash than KPro. Same for B&B, I can work with either of those too and find them okay for briskets when i add wood chunks for the actual flavor.

best bet is to find what you like. you cannot go wrong. WSK will do great with either. Now the JDXL on direct sear for salmon, tuna, steaks or chickens gets real hot. i've measured 1100F via IR thermometer at grate temps with JDXL and my CI circle sear. that CI puts on a mean steak. like steakhouse great.

this CI specifically: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZPNGLM5/?tag=tvwb-20

it does require some oiling and upkeep but it's still less upkeep than some wives.

Last edited:
Any time I've made a mess down below (in the GRILL you sickos!), I have put a yellow plastic wall scraper to the task...works great. With something like chicken, the drippings volume is pretty low so never been an issue so far (though I do prefer indirect TBH). Pork roasts I always try to catch the bulk of the drippings...nothing says you can't put a smaller drip tray right down in the coals etc.

Nice to hear that none of you have had much of a problem with this. That's one more thing to cross off the list. Thanks to all.

Here’s what I do:

• Remove the centre grill grate
  • Position your charcoal baskets in the centre and fill with charcoal
  • Use tinfoil to line the inside of the E6, and around the baskets
  • Replace centre grate
  • Cook indirect as desired
  • Place your protein on the centre grates until you get your grill marks etc.
You can also skip the indirect part and cook over the coals. I don’t think there’s any other way to prevent drippings from running down the centre, but the burning hot coals should cause them to evaporate.

This is the same idea, minus centre grate as I was using my vortex. Even then I just throw my centre grate over it when I want those grill marks. It’s not flush with the vortex, but it is with the baskets.The tinfoil is cheap and a breeze to clean up.

55FD180C-D9EC-4367-AD3C-1BD48D6D9EEA.jpeg697698E0-E77D-4112-ADF8-A9265DC6150F.jpeg

Back