Keeping side dishes warm

Randy D

TVWBB Member
I'd like to make Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans to take to a party this weekend. The meat and beverages are provided and everybody brings a side dish. I've been able to keep meat warm for a while before serving in the past, but what would work best to keep baked beans warm if I'm not able to reheat them?

If I cooked them in a foil pan and covered the pan with foil, how long could I keep them warm in a cooler? A lot of other people will be bringing side dishes and I dont't know if I'll have access to electric.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy D:
I'd like to make Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans to take to a party this weekend. The meat and beverages are provided and everybody brings a side dish. I've been able to keep meat warm for a while before serving in the past, but what would work to keep best to keep baked beans warm if I'm not able to reheat them?

If I cooked them in a foil pan and covered the pan with foil, how long could I keep them warm in a cooler? A lot of other people will be bringing side dishes and I dont't know if I'll have access to electric. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Randy,

I think your best option would be a slow cooker pot since you said you wouldnt be certain if youd be able to have access to electricity, that option wont work. I would personally go with a Cast iron pot once heated they will stay warm for a long time and if you need to reheat it just throw it on some heat either in oven or on a side burner of a gas grill.If you dont have access to either then I'd say go with the foiled pan. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll cook them in a foil pan and pack them hot in a cooler just before I leave. Serving time should be within 2 hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy D:
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll cook them in a foil pan and pack them hot in a cooler just before I leave. Serving time should be within 2 hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Randy, even after 4 hrs in the Coleman Extreme, that pan is still really hot.
icon_wink.gif

I made a huge batch of various BBQ for last years Superbowl, and took it to work. I used a cooler that I had placed a large towel in the bottom, with 5 foiled bricks, that I had preheated in a 300 degree oven for ( if I recall correctly) 12 minutes. Then I placed a large damp towel over the bricks, along with the foiled pan of BBQ. The food got to the hospital at 6:30 in the AM, and stayed over 175 when we dug into it around 11:30 AM for the game.

Having a cooler that has the wheels and extended dragging handle thingy helped tremendously. I wouldnt want to have to lift that damn thing full of that stuff.

Back