Keeping ribs warm

• Thread starter Thread starter Barry
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry

I plan on serving pork spare ribs at a party soon. I was wondering has anyone put the ribs in one of those trays that sit on top of a sterno can to keep them warm? I have read on the website about putting them in a cooler wrapped in towels, but I may need to use the cooler for other things.

Barry,

Well the first problem right off the bat...you don't have enough coolers /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Seriously though I have never used the warming tray with sterno, I have, however, kept baby backs double wrapped in heavy duty foil, wrapped in towels, in a cooler for nearly four hours and they registered 168 when I pulled them out of the cooler. Go buy another cooler. Good Luck!

You're refering to a chafing dish, which has a pan you put hot water in, then a food pan with lid goes on top, and the whole thing is kept warm by a can of Sterno.

I've used a chafing dish to keep barbecue hot for serving. It works fine, looks professional, and makes serving a breeze. I rented one for $25, buying a decent one is more like $50 and up.

But for $25, you can also buy a decent cooler at Costco or Sam's.

Regards,
Chris

We use chafing dishes for all our tailgaters and parties. Have four of them and one round one that we use for beans. They will hold all Q just fine for a long time and are used by most caterers. You can find a disposable on at Costco. I believe they are about $20.00 for two sets of them. A decent Chafer at Costco runs about $45.00.

You can also hold them in the oven at 170 degrees in a covered large aluminum pan for awhile. Lots depend on how long you have to hold them. The cooler or cambro works ok for a couple of hours. Beyond this you might need to consider whether to put them in the frig and reheat. The key is to keep them out of the 40-140 range.

Thanks all for your replies. I think I will take Bruce and Chris up on their advice and get another cooler. I should only have to keep them warm for 2-3 hours. That is if I plan my smoking time correctly!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back