Keeping my SmokeFire!

Put that on at 3Am, for ME, it was so much easier than a middle of the night fire up of the WSM 22”.
I’m running it at 225 until 165, I haven’t decided what to do next, wrap in foil, Pan it and add some beer? Butcher paper?

I have to say I love the WiFI and the app, I’m going back to sleep and I feel good about where everything is.

So I decided to roll with some advice from my man ShaneF and I am going top shelf with pan underneath, I hope that pan isn’t too big but I’m just trying to learn what effects what?

Thanks Shane for the idea.

Last edited:
Started raining so I wrapped in butcher paper. I was torn between butcher paper and foil. I may switch to foil in a couple hours.

Started raining so I wrapped in butcher paper. I was torn between butcher paper and foil. I may switch to foil in a couple hours.
Why? I've always wrapped in foil because it's what I have on hand. What difference do you notice between the two?

Butcher paper keeps the bark, foil steams more.
This being pastrami, steaming is actually the second step in cooking it. so I might go for more steam.

Butcher paper keeps the bark, foil steams more.
This being pastrami, steaming is actually the second step in cooking it. so I might go for more steam.
Next time I do a low slow cook on ribs I think I'd like to wrap one rack in foil and one in paper to compare the difference. I've got good bark with foil but that's all I've ever used. Now you have me wondering if it could be better.

Next time I do a low slow cook on ribs I think I'd like to wrap one rack in foil and one in paper to compare the difference. I've got good bark with foil but that's all I've ever used. Now you have me wondering if it could be better.
There are a million videos on YouTube comparing the 2. Aaron Franklin has probably made the pink butcher paper companies millions!

I've probably watched a couple (at least) already but having seen so many videos, the foil vs paper have probably faded into white noise at this point. It was never something I specifically recall searching for. But now it will be.

EDIT:
I just searched it. Now I know I've seen at least a few. I remember watching the one from BBM as soon as it pulled up.

Last edited:
So what is the word on the Smokefire out in the rain? How long before the rain starts to cause problems with the electronics? I was under the impression that pellet grills needed to be covered during rain.

So what is the word on the Smokefire out in the rain? How long before the rain starts to cause problems with the electronics? I was under the impression that pellet grills needed to be covered during rain.
Weber said it’s fine in the rain.

Last edited:
When I wrap it is either in parchment (have no clue where to find butcher paper but parchment pretty much the same) and if it calls for foil I do parchment with foil over that to keep aluminum from leaching into the food.

When I wrap it is either in parchment (have no clue where to find butcher paper but parchment pretty much the same) and if it calls for foil I do parchment with foil over that to keep aluminum from leaching into the food.
Larry,
You got me wondering about something. So I started looking at butcher vs parchment paper. Here is one of a few things I've read.

Sounds like parchment is the better way to go from my Google search quickie education.

As for foil,
giphy.gif

Yep just the other night I could not find my favorite salmon from Scotland that I wanted to make for our Bible study pot luck. But I did find a wonderful Sashimi grade organic IIRC boneless skinless salmon from Norway at Sam's. I don't like to use skinless on the grill as I rely on the skin cooking it skin side down the whole time I smoke roast it on the grill. I then slide a spatula between the skin and flesh to remove it. I leave the skin on the grill until it cools and the skin comes right off like magic so I can discard it.
So with this skinless one I used a sheet of foil then a folded piece of parchment, then place the salmon (what would be skin side) down. I let it roast and simply slid the parchment and salmon off the foil slicker than snot on a door knob. Everyone raved about it, and clean up was a snap.
I was REALLY pleased with the quality of the fish itself as well. I even took the trimmings and make Gravlax outof it. I found a quick cure recipe for it on YouTube and the only change I made was I used organic pure maple syrup instead of sugar in the brine
I cannot express how wonderful that Gravlax was either.

Back