just when i thought i had my mind made up on a stoker or digiQ2

Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):
It's still a no brainer. Stoker can control more than 2 pits and it's functions can be extended by software. I think the new device was quoted as $60 more then the Digi II so that would make it just over $300.

A stoker with a pit and food probe is $225. The decision is quite easy to make.

-rob

Maybe we aren't looking at the same website, or maybe you can direct me to a current price list, but I see $250 for the basic plus system w/ comes with the pit and food probe for $250, then you've got to add the $25 dollar WSM adapter.

So, you're looking at $275 right there.

The price just went up this week.I was on last week priced it out and this Saturday went to place my order and prices went up $25.00

the way the commercial construction business is going here, i'm probably going to stick with what i have for now. we haven't had to lay anyone off, but work is starting to look slim for at least the next 6 months.

Originally posted by JeremyC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):
It's still a no brainer. Stoker can control more than 2 pits and it's functions can be extended by software. I think the new device was quoted as $60 more then the Digi II so that would make it just over $300.

A stoker with a pit and food probe is $225. The decision is quite easy to make.

-rob

Maybe we aren't looking at the same website, or maybe you can direct me to a current price list, but I see $250 for the basic plus system w/ comes with the pit and food probe for $250, then you've got to add the $25 dollar WSM adapter.

So, you're looking at $275 right there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stoker also comes with a 2-year warranty...

I've got a Stoker that I use with Stokerlog and a Guru Cyber QII. I've found much to like in both devices, as well as a few really irritating detracors. Here's how I see the pluses/minuses of the devices and companies:

Stoker Pluses
True network control: I can plug my Airport Express into the Stoker Controller, and it feeds right into my Time Capsule enabled network. So I can see the Stoker on my iPhone, my Mac and my old standby Gateway PC.

Lighted cannon plugs: I can see at a glance if my fan is cycling propperly from the periwinkle blue light that comes on when the fan is powered.

Multiple plugs: I can control multiple devices from a single Stoker controller (maybe three?).

Cost: Stoker's much less expensive than the Cyber QII. For my own configs it was about $100.00 less.

Stoker minuses
Customer service: It's been beaten to death here so I won't rehash my own issues. But it's a huge minus when you have a problem with your system and it takes more than two months to get it resolved. Kinda negates the cost savings when you can't use the system you spent good money and have grown to depend on.

Probes: The Stoker probes and wires are flimsier than the Guru's. I stripped a temp probe simply trying to place it through the Stoker WSM eyelet because there was no instruction manual advising you should remove the silicon sleeve prior to threading it through. John replaced at no cost.

System specificity for Stokerlog: Yeah I know, I know. I could use my PC or install Parallels on my Mac. But, I'd rather not go the Mac to PC workaround route as it seems to be a lot of extra effort/work just for one application, and my PC notebook is a real dog, performance wise.

Guru pluses
Ruggedness: The controller is powder coated and supposedly water resistant; alhtough I'm not really excited about testing the water resistance of the device, it does seem very tight, with no obcious exposed seams or points for water ingress. The probes are firmly connected to braided steel cables, and the cannon plugs are nice and solid.

Temp control: Absoutely solid. Properly loaded, my WSM stays within about +-3 degrees as long as it has adequate fuel (not counting temp swings due to lid opening, of course).

User interface/control: The Cyber QII interface via PC is outstanding. I've got a main status page with tabular data for the two pits. along with a graph. In additon, I can choose a "recap page" that shows just the data for the two pits in a large, easy to read format or a graph page that shows only the graph.

Guru minuses
More expensive: About $100.00 than my Stoker with the setup I got. There are, of course, other Guru systems that are less expensive, but they're also less directly comparable to the Stoker.

Network control: If I want to use the Cyber QII PC user interface, I either have to plug into the controller via USB cable or use a wireless USB hub and stick device to transmit wirelessly to my PC. The hub/stick has limited range and is also pretty temperamental. I can get actual network control, but it involves hooking my laptop up to the Guru and using Mochasoft to access my laptop remotely. Haven't tried this, primarily because it requires Windows XP and my laptop is running Vista.

Number of pits controllable: Two max, as opposed to the Stoker which can control three (or more I think).

System specificity for controller: Same issue as Stoker. Won't work on my Mac, plus the USB hub/stick setup is also Mac incompataible.

Bottom line, I find things to like with both systems, and there's room for improvement with both systems also. Will be interesting to see if one or both address their weaknesses moving forward.

Stokerlog does not use much CPU at all. Your netbook should have no problem running it. Have you tried it there?

Originally posted by B McCall:
Here's an interesting setup I've seen this being used but I haven't seen any reviews on it recently, if not, at all.

http://forums.huckshut.com/showthread.php?t=176

Hmm, he says he's got a wireless USB hub/stick setup working on his Mac with the Cyber QII software running via BootCamp. I signed into the forum and asked him to confirm that he has a working wireless USB setup and if so what's the make/model. The one I'm using on my PC is extremely temperamental and drops connection all the time.

Originally posted by Kit_R:
Stoker minuses
Customer service: It's been beaten to death here so I won't rehash my own issues. But it's a huge minus when you have a problem with your system and it takes more than two months to get it resolved. Kinda negates the cost savings when you can't use the system you spent good money and have grown to depend on.

Probes: The Stoker probes and wires are flimsier than the Guru's. I stripped a temp probe simply trying to place it through the Stoker WSM eyelet because there was no instruction manual advising you should remove the silicon sleeve prior to threading it through. John replaced at no cost.

Did it take two months to get the probe replaced?

I think dealing with John must be hit or miss. I've only called john a few times since owning my Stoker and have always received quick answers, help and shipping. One time he returned a call during the Superbowl to answer a question that turned out to be an operator malfunction.

My only desire would be to have the Stoker, leads and fan be weatherproof.

Originally posted by joe thomas:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kit_R:
Stoker minuses

Did it take two months to get the probe replaced?

I think dealing with John must be hit or miss. I've only called john a few times since owning my Stoker and have always received quick answers, help and shipping. One time he returned a call during the Superbowl to answer a question that turned out to be an operator malfunction.

My only desire would be to have the Stoker, leads and fan be weatherproof. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I should've been more clear about the specifics. It took me more than two mmonths to get my controller repaired and returned. The probe replacement was shipped with another purchase, so there wasn't an issue there (plus I had a spare anyway). Hit or miss is the perfect term, though. I've had good response, but it's so erratic that I just can't depend on it.

I was all set to get the cyberq, but I have not been able to find anyone that has been able to control it successfully over the internet (the wireless USB hubs dont seem to be working too good), so now I believe I am going to order the SToker, as I am especially interested in the stokerlog (looks like a great program) - is the only place to order them is directly through Rock's BBQ? The reports of sub par customer service has me a bit concerned, because when I want something, I want to buy it now, and receive it within a couple of days...

Originally posted by ShaunS: The reports of sub par customer service has me a bit concerned, because when I want something, I want to buy it now, and receive it within a couple of days...

I called him, made sure he had it in stock and had him ship it next day air, no problems at all. I love my Stoker.

thanks for the info..I will give him a ring and get it ordered up. Also, would the easiest way to hook it up to access it via my laptop (wireless network) be to run a network cable from my router (in my office on the first floor) out to the cooker? I assume the router would recognize it and I could just pull up the webpage, right? To go wireless (on the stoker), I need a wireless bridge, is that right? Thanks a bunch for the help..not sure why I have waited this long to get on the ATC train?!?!

Yes, if you can run a wire, it is best that way.

And it will come right up like your PC by getting its IP address from the router. But most of us prefer to assign it a fixed number. That way, when you try to access it, you always know what address it has. Otherwise, you have to go through the menus on stoker to find it on every power up. I gave mine 192.168.1.88 for example.

You are also correct on the wireless bridge part.

When you do get it, play with it inside the house first and get comfortable with it. Then you can fire it up and cook with it with ease.

Amir - thanks for the info...I will be calling Rock in the next few days to get it ordered..I am looking forward to joining the Stoker folks!

I still love the durability I've found in my Digi Q II as well as the GREAT customer service and support when I've had questions or issues.

I liked the Stoker as well but when i couldnt reliably call or get ahold of someone to talk to regarding it I lost much of my interest.

I still think its great there are different companies addressing different needs and continuing to innovate and design better solutions for temprature control systems.

I hope they both continue to make great products to support our hobby!!

Back