Just two little 22.5 questions for anyone?

Aaron House

Hello Everyone,

I have been smoking for a few years on a modified ECB (w/ afterburner). I have realized however, that it is time to take this to the next level and move to stick burning.

I purchased a 22.5 and will pick it up at the house in Ohio at Thanksgiving and bring it back up to Canada.

I wanted to say hello to everyone on here!

After reading through everything posted on the website before posting any questions or an introduction I was hoping I could ask a few qualified questions?

I noticed the recipes on the website state they are for the 18.5. Is there a standard charcoal ratio difference in making those recipes on the 22.5?

Additionally, many modifications are for the 18.5 does anyone make 22.5 modifications?

Thank you and happy smoking!

Aaron

Aaron, Welcome.
The modifications to the 18.5 will be the same to the 22.5
No difference in the cookers besides the size.
The 22 will use more charcoal then the 18. Again, it is the size. But you will get the feel of it after a few cooks. Just put more charcoal on when you start. You can always close all the vents when done cooking, and the fire will go out. Then just save the left overs for the next cook.

I moved up quick from the smaller ECB to the 22.5 WSM. In the beginning I went thru a lot of charcoal for shorter cooks. Thru practice and getting to know my smoker I have found that what works best for me, on cooks averaging 4-5hrs, is loading her loading her up with unlit charcoal (about a chimney full) in a pile, using the modified Minion Method of the coffee can in the middle, then pouring on about a half full chimney of lit coals worked great for short cooks.

Originally posted by R_Sanchez:
I moved up quick from the smaller ECB to the 22.5 WSM. In the beginning I went thru a lot of charcoal for shorter cooks. Thru practice and getting to know my smoker I have found that what works best for me, on cooks averaging 4-5hrs, is loading her loading her up with unlit charcoal (about a chimney full) in a pile, using the modified Minion Method of the coffee can in the middle, then pouring on about a half full chimney of lit coals worked great for short cooks.

Thank you for responding, can you clarify though the amounts you were using, on a 4-5 hour cook? Thanks again!

Aaron

Originally posted by John Carlson:
My 2 cents. I wouldn't do any modifications to it. It is perfect right out of the box.

Thank you John! I am definitely going to start with it out of the box as it is. Do you know how well the thermo's out of the box on the 22.5 are?

Thanks
Aaron

i just load up my kettle. then it burns what it wants. after shutting it down you can reuse the older stuff. not sure what mods you are talking about. maybe be a bit more specific. the best teacher is to read as much as you can and then go out and cook and cook some more. after a bit it will all make sense. won't happen overnite. took me years.

Hello George,

Thank you for your post. In particular to start I was wondering about the thermo that is pre installed with the 22.5 I have added after market ones in the past but didn't know if people replace theres on the new 22.5.

Thanks
Aaron

Aaron, there is a quite a bit of anecdotal evidence on these pages suggesting the OEM therm is unreliable.
A boiling water test should answer your concerns.

Hi Aaron,

What I do is fill a chimney full of unlit coals. I then spread those unlit coals around a small coffee can in my fire bowl. Then I fill a second chimney about half full and light it. When I can see the fire from the top of the chimney, I remove the coffee can and fill the hole with the lit coals and spread the rest of the lit coals as close to the center as possible. Vents are about 75% open the whole time. Between this and a few chunks of wood, my WSM goes a good 4 hrs at 225 on a good day without overdoing it on the charchol.

They work great out of the box. The only mod I've done is wiring the charcoal ring to the charcoal grate. Makes it a heck of a lot easier to remove both of them.

Thank you!

I really appreciate the tip. I am nervous about drilling the new baby, so screw on handles look good until she gets, a little dirty.

Yeah, I was as well--why I just bent, as suggested, Genie garage door handles before attaching grate holders. This should be pic: door handles. Best of smokes and looking forward to your posts! (I started on ECB as well and dang, what a difference!) Modded ECB does teach patience (?) Or resolve to get WSM:)

Hello A Powell.

Thank you, at first I didn't realize that those fit into the handles, that is how new my WSM is.

I went for the WSM because I wanted something that I could get into competition with down the road.

As my friend Jeff says, "Gas got us into this mess, coal will get us out!"

Thanks again!

Back