Just putting this out there

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I am just putting this out there. I don't want to risk coming off as a jerk or unhelpful. Because that is the LEAST of what anyone who actually knows me would accuse me of. Over the course of the last few years I have been asked for help of a "technical or DIY" nature re. KitchenAid mixers. First and foremost I would like to confirm I run a small repair/resale business. I try to go above and beyond in everything I do.
I am happy to offer some advise especially of a nature of "I have these needs what model do you recommend?". What I am not: Is in the nature of a DIY site. www.themixerdoc.com is not meant to be, never was and never will be a DIY site. It is "informational" only in relation to the nature of what I do. In close to 15 years of my business I have never raised my prices for my services (nor have I "cut" my services for the price). I typically don't even mark up the parts I use for repairs and many cases give parts away! (Recently a person who is a repeat customer bought a machine from me and somehow managed to break the "ear" off the bowl that holds it to the machine. No question asked! I gave him another bowl! Everyone, this is how I conduct my business. Lord knows it ain't gonna make me rich!
But, I do get questions about "hey how do I fix this" nature. I'm gonna apologize right now. It's not what I am about. There are too many ways to make the situation FAR worse. I have had to fix more than a pile of machines from folks who "saw how to do it on YouTube" "It didn't look that hard" and I am greeted with a box of miscellaneous parts and a sheepish "I tried it". And while some might be tempted to make those folks feel badly or charge them more, I refuse to do so. After all what would the point be?
So please if I don't offer you a step by step on how to do what I do do not be offended. And actually anyone from the site here who needs or wants my service I will offer a 10% discount off my basic service as well.
I just hope everyone understands I am not a "hobbyist" and I also use specialized tools to do what I do. (Electronic tachometer, watt/power draw meter, to mention two of them). I try also to keep parts and supplies stocked for most routine repairs. I also know where the "weak points" are on the machines and with great care will update them to help "bulletproof" them (at no extra charges BTW). And I will not resell any machine I don't feel good about warrantying for 12 months either.
I realize this is a rather long "novella" :D but please try to understand where I am coming from
Best!

I hear you loud and clear! I used to love people using me as the instructor then buying a diamond online after I’d spent time and money getting in diamonds for them to consider let alone the time I’d spent learning the intricacies of the business. As professionals we have spent a long time learning our trade, those who simply want to leech the knowledge from what has taken years to learn rub me the wrong way! Next trip your direction, I’m going to have to bring my mixer for some of your tender ministries!

I am just putting this out there. I don't want to risk coming off as a jerk or unhelpful. Because that is the LEAST of what anyone who actually knows me would accuse me of. Over the course of the last few years I have been asked for help of a "technical or DIY" nature re. KitchenAid mixers. First and foremost I would like to confirm I run a small repair/resale business. I try to go above and beyond in everything I do.
I am happy to offer some advise especially of a nature of "I have these needs what model do you recommend?". What I am not: Is in the nature of a DIY site. www.themixerdoc.com is not meant to be, never was and never will be a DIY site. It is "informational" only in relation to the nature of what I do. In close to 15 years of my business I have never raised my prices for my services (nor have I "cut" my services for the price). I typically don't even mark up the parts I use for repairs and many cases give parts away! (Recently a person who is a repeat customer bought a machine from me and somehow managed to break the "ear" off the bowl that holds it to the machine. No question asked! I gave him another bowl! Everyone, this is how I conduct my business. Lord knows it ain't gonna make me rich!
But, I do get questions about "hey how do I fix this" nature. I'm gonna apologize right now. It's not what I am about. There are too many ways to make the situation FAR worse. I have had to fix more than a pile of machines from folks who "saw how to do it on YouTube" "It didn't look that hard" and I am greeted with a box of miscellaneous parts and a sheepish "I tried it". And while some might be tempted to make those folks feel badly or charge them more, I refuse to do so. After all what would the point be?
So please if I don't offer you a step by step on how to do what I do do not be offended. And actually anyone from the site here who needs or wants my service I will offer a 10% discount off my basic service as well.
I just hope everyone understands I am not a "hobbyist" and I also use specialized tools to do what I do. (Electronic tachometer, watt/power draw meter, to mention two of them). I try also to keep parts and supplies stocked for most routine repairs. I also know where the "weak points" are on the machines and with great care will update them to help "bulletproof" them (at no extra charges BTW). And I will not resell any machine I don't feel good about warrantying for 12 months either.
I realize this is a rather long "novella" :D but please try to understand where I am coming from
Best!
You, Sir have absolutely nothing to apologize for. It's a "if you wanna play you gotta pay" world and if someone can successfully DIY any project or repair based on YouTube or other available means...have at it and live with the results whatever they might be.

It's a "if you wanna play you gotta pay" world

Had I charged my late father for every phone call and house visit to resolve his 2 dozen a day computer laptop questions and catastrophic keyboard strokes, I'd have been able to retire long ago and there would have been no inheritance money left for my siblings.

Now add in my computer using friends, neighbors - and wife.

Had I charged my late father for every phone call and house visit to resolve his 2 dozen a day computer laptop questions and catastrophic keyboard strokes, I'd have been able to retire long ago and there would have been no inheritance money left for my siblings.

That’s helping FAMILY! Different issue entirely. What Larry and I are talking about are those people that simply want to suck your brain for knowledge that’s taken years to amass and it’s how you make a living. “Helping” family is different, I wish my father was still alive to ask me how to do something or my Mom, ask me about how to get out of a loop in her iPad or my brother asking me anything!
I think doing that for family is what makes learning things more enjoyable.
When some schmuck just waltzes in and pumps you for that information so he can save a buck or buy goods online and just treat you like the public library reference room. It’s really irritating when you’ve spent hours getting diamonds in for some dip to learn how to see what is there let alone the postage and insurance, that stuff ain’t free buddy! If you want to take a class, take a friggin class! I’ll be your tutor but, I should not have to work for free, should I?
End rant, sorry guys, this is still a sore spot 20 years after I got out of the business.

I think doing that for family is what makes learning things more enjoyable.

Relax. I agree with you and Larry - except for undoing computer mistakes. I can't describe them as fun. However, sitting down afterward with my dad for a whisky and chit-chatting about what-not was the consolation prize.

And honestly everyone I don't mind contacting me for advice or asking if something you hear or see is "normal". I'll give an honest answer to any question. My other reasoning is I don't want to be responsible for a mistake. Then have an "but you told me to do it like this" happen. If I am servicing a machine and I do something wrong it's on me. And yes on one or two occasions I've made a mistake here or there. Thankfully only once caught AFTER delivery of the unit and not catastrophic. Simply a loose trim ring. But, too it's why I include a year warranty on my work. Anyway I truly appreciate the sentiments and understanding of what I am trying to get across. And yeah, if something does not seem right and you want confirmation ask away. If service is needed it's 10% off for anyone from here. (Friends and Family Discount :D)

Last time I checked, family and internet strangers were two different things entirely.

Honestly I don't consider this group strangers :D Hence the "friends" portion of the F&F discount :D
Pal, I’m strange as H E Double hockey sticks! I freely admit it.
As for the discount, I’m happy to pay for real expertise, I’m still trying to figure out how much I’m going to have to charge you for the “Trussing lesson” when I drop the KA off!😉🤪

When my first child was born my wife and I agreed she would be a stay at home mom.

Those were very lean years, and I worked finish carpenter/ cabinet maker side jobs to make ends meet.

I learned very quickly that my time and energy was best spent working exclusively for business owners- they knew exactly what they wanted, paid promptly, and if they were satisfied with my work there were reliable referrals.

Homeowners in general would pick my brain, nit pick everything and find someone to compete my ideas cheaper.

Eventually our finances settled down and I didn’t have to or want to do any side jobs.

On rare occasions I get requests from friends and neighbors to help them, and schedule permitting I comply.

My key to happiness is as follows:

I will check out the job, make sure I am comfortable doing a good job and figure out time/ materials schedule-
before the job begins, I tell them-

“My only condition to doing the job is that I will not accept any form of payment- please pay it forward and donate any money to your charity as you see fit”.

The reason I think this is the best approach is I can help someone, I leave it up to them to do whatever they see fit, and most importantly-

I don’t get call backs or referrals to do additional work.

Fwiw.

Back