Just Picked up Genesis SPX 435 Smart Grill

I’d love to see the backside of that control panel to see how they back light the knobs… ya know, if you want to take it apart 🤣

Need to get it up for sale before Labor Day or else it's probably not going to be until spring. I barbecue year round but the weather is not great for barbecuing here after Labor Day. I barbecue in the snow. Nothing stopping me but not everybody feels that way.

I don't get why they call it "Smart". Far as I've seen on those all it does is read out temps but you still need to control it manually. Correct me if I am wrong. Technically a Searwood would be "Smart" as it can be controlled remotely. Though IDK if it can be programmed to do a "if this then that" type operation

I don't get why they call it "Smart". Far as I've seen on those all it does is read out temps but you still need to control it manually. Correct me if I am wrong. Technically a Searwood would be "Smart" as it can be controlled remotely. Though IDK if it can be programmed to do a "if this then that" type operation
You can set temps like an oven. Those 435’s are big old beasts. Nice grill, hard to believe someone didn’t take care of that.
Edit, wrong grill, it’s basically a Weber Connect permanently installed.
I do like the Weber connect app, so it’s useful.

Last edited:
You can set temps like an oven.
So it is "regulated"? Seems odd because of the regular gas knobs. The new Summit has a truly "Smart" grill but there are no "knobs" or plain gas valves. Everything is run in the control panel
If the Genesis is actually "regulated" then Josh owes it to us to get his grubby paws inside that thing and show us all the inner workings

So it is "regulated"? Seems odd because of the regular gas knobs. The new Summit has a truly "Smart" grill but there are no "knobs" or plain gas valves. Everything is run in the control panel
If the Genesis is actually "regulated" then Josh owes it to us to get his grubby paws inside that thing and show us all the inner workings
Looks like I’m wrong on that one Larry.
It’s just a Weber Connect permanently installed, useful but not a thermostat.

IMO - The "Smart" is definitely overstated. I believe Char-Broil actually does have a "smart" grill that has a thermostat that controls temps. I don't understand why there are not more gas grills with one as there have been gas ovens forever and now pellet poopers and gravity feeds have them.

IMO - The "Smart" is definitely overstated. I believe Char-Broil actually does have a "smart" grill that has a thermostat that controls temps. I don't understand why there are not more gas grills with one as there have been gas ovens forever and now pellet poopers and gravity feeds have them.
I knew about the Charbroil. Interesting grill but it actually only has one burner

I think the app would be kind of Handy for stepping away from the grill and knowing what's going on while you're stepped away. I'd have to agree with @LMichaels and @Joe Anshien though. It's a bit of a stretch but technically still smart since you have a app readout. The lighted knobs and stuff is kind of cool but on the other hand a bit fufu and probably problematic down the road. I find the wiring to be quite cheaply done on these newer Weber's. I have had to replace wiring on some of them that I've had that aren't very old. In my opinion if they're going to have a high dollar high-end specialty Grill with technology the wiring should be high quality and protected from the weather and elements. This is my fifth Weber with light up knobs and I'd have to say they're a bit finicky due to the lack of quality. Don't get me wrong. In my opinion it's still a great Grill and I'm sure it barbecues with excellent results. I just wouldn't spend close to $2,000 to buy a new one.

Last edited:
I think the app would be kind of Handy for stepping away from the grill and knowing what's going on while you're stepped away. I'd have to agree with @LMichaels and @Joe Anshien though. It's a bit of a stretch but technically still smart since you have a app readout. The lighted knobs and stuff is kind of cool but on the other hand a bit fufu and probably problematic down the road. I find the wiring to be quite cheaply done on these newer Weber's. I have had to replace wiring on some of them that I've had that aren't very old. In my opinion if they're going to have a high dollar high-end specialty Grill with technology the wiring should be high quality and protected from the weather and elements. This is my fifth Weber with light up knobs and I'd have to say they're a bit finicky due to the lack of quality. Don't get me wrong. In my opinion it's still a great Grill and I'm sure it barbecues with excellent results. I just wouldn't spend close to $2,000 to buy a new one.

You also need a wall outlet or the battery pack to run those lights, electronics, and WiFi... and there's no analog thermometer in the lid if power is not available. IMO, the 'smart' label is marketing hype aimed at younger consumers looking for "set it and forget it" convenience. Automated burner control would be a serious liability issue on a consumer grill, yet that's exactly what some buyers were (apparently) expecting to get.

I've looked at these 'tech' grills quite thoroughly and wouldn't pay 1/4 of what they are asking. AFAIK, the 2024+ models are all "Hecho in China". Somewhat revealing is the number of 2023-24 Genesis grills I've seen listed for sale on CL and FBM in recent weeks. For me, it's another red flag.

Back