Just got WSM....got questions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
Just want to say hey to everyone. Been lurking for awhile mostly to learn how to use the WSM. Well it finally came so I have some questions....

I'd like to smoke some salmon for Saturday and was wondering where I could find a good recipe. It won't be the main course, just something to snack on as the night goes on. Something that will go good with our favorite beverage, water with barley, yeast, hops, etc. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . My WSM is too shiny and needs to be fired up....

I need to learn what to look for when buying meat. I was at SAMS today and saw some 'flat boneless briskets' at about 4-5 lbs. They looked awful fatty to me but I've never even ate brisket that I know of and have no idea how one should look. I would also like to try one of these pork butts you all are talking about. What do I look for on these? I have a great meat market in my area but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm looking for when I go in. If anyone knows of a book or someplace on the WWW with info on buying meat and what the different types of cuts are, and how/why one cut is better than another please send me in the right direction.

Well I know I had a ton more questions but now I just can't think of'em and I have to go to work(midnights *sigh*). Thanks for any info.....

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron F:
[qb] I'd like to smoke some salmon for Saturday and was wondering where I could find a good recipe. It won't be the main course, just something to snack on as the night goes on. Something that will go good with our favorite beverage, water with barley, yeast, hops, etc. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . My WSM is too shiny and needs to be fired up....[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Did you see this ?
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[qb]
I need to learn what to look for when buying meat. I was at SAMS today and saw some 'flat boneless briskets' at about 4-5 lbs. They looked awful fatty to me but I've never even ate brisket that I know of and have no idea how one should look.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Brisket flats are actually the less-fatty portion of a whole brisket, but it needs that cap of fat to baste itself. Sam's flats are USDA Choice, while their whole briskets are only Select.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[qb]I would also like to try one of these pork butts you all are talking about. What do I look for on these? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't know about you, but I look for $0.89/lb. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ron,

Click the "Cooking" tab at the top of this page and you'll find several articles about cooking brisket, including a detailed article with photos about brisket selection & prep.

Regarding pork butt, there's not much to selecting them. Buy them bone-in or boneless, depending on your preference and price. Again, several pork butt articles are found in the Cooking section.

Regards,
Chris

re pork butt, I like to use bone-in because

(1) I think cooking with the bone in gives better flavor, and

(2) the bone is part of my gauge to see if the butt is done. If I can grab the bone and twist and it wants to easily come completely out of the meat, it's done.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Hi Ron, and welcome!

I was Q impaired when I got my WSM, too. Never had brisket, never had pulled pork. But it's all so wonderfully delicious. If you like good food, you're gonna love the WSM.

My family and friends really like pulled pork and I highly recommend it as a first cook. Of course, ribs are good too.

Have fun and keep us posted.

I had never heard of pork butt before I found this site either. In fact, I've never seen "pork butt" in any stores here in the Northwest. Fortunately, some more experienced members on this site educated me that "pork butt" goes by alot of different names. The "pork butt" is actually from the pig's front shoulder, not the back end which are the hams. The pork shoulder is cut into two separate cuts: the butt and the picnic. The butt is the upper part of the shoulder and the picnic is the lower part. A "pork butt" is also called a "pork shoulder roast," "pork shoulder blade roast," "pork butt roast," or the "pork butt." What its called depends on which part of the country you live in.

Dave, I'm sure you've found butts in your area. I have seen/bought butts and picnics at the local Fred Meyer. Never seen both at the same time tho... odd.

Thank you all for the advice, I know this is going to be a great place to learn. I've still not been able to fire up the WSM(*sigh*). It came last Friday or Sat, not sure as I was up hunting. Last weekend was the rifle season opener for deer. Didn't shoot anything but just being in the woods and seeing the 'other side' is what I love. I work midnights so I haven't really had time as I want to babysit the WSM the first few times I use it, get to know it a little. This means I will have to wait until the weekend. I just might be able to fire it up this Sunday. I was hoping to do the smoked salmon for a get together tommorrow but its not going to happen. Not sure what I will be cooking first but I will definately post and let everyone know how my first cook goes. Thanks again.......

Ron

Bob,
Sure. I've found and cooked many butts here locally. They just weren't called "butts" in the local stores. They were called "pork shoulder blade roasts." But, until someone told me they were the same thing, I couldn't tell my butt from a hole in the ground. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back