Just got my wsm 18 today,whats my must haves?

M Duckett

My wsm arrived today what are my must haves to get started smoking?i read alot bout those maverick thermometers are they a must and if so how do you set them up on your wsm ? Any wisdom is appreciated im totally a smoking rookie.

Must haves - Charcoal, Chimney, wood chunks, Meat
icon_smile.gif

The Maverick is great in knowing more precise what you pit temp is since the built in is often off. It is also nice to know what the meat temp is to know how things are coming along.

Ya have to Christen the new adventure so add some adult beverages to the must haves!

OBTW, Welcome to the Board!

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OBTW, Welcome to the Board! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
0hYeah.. welcome to your new home!

Congratulations on your WSM. Other than charcoal and meat I don't think there are any "must haves," but a chimney and a remote thermometer are really nice.

What those ^^^^ guys said. I'd also add this site and forum to the list. Ask questions, everyone here will help. I'm still new and have learned a ton in the past couple of months. Welcome aboard and have fun!

chimney starter
good pair of heavy duty gloves
maverick-et732
cajun bandit grommets
charcoal grate/charcoal ring mod
possibly a thermapen....since they're currently on sale

I would recommend the weber chimney, they work well and seem to last longer.

I use a few paper towels with canola oil poured in the middle to get the chimney started using a standard long grill lighter.

I usually light the chimney on my second grill.

Some heavy gloves for dumping the chimney.

Some fireplace tongs for adjusting the coals.

Use the blue bag kingston when you get started.

I use a remote thermometer (the kind with the metal wrapped wire you can place in the oven). I drilled a hole through a cork and slide the thermometer probe through it and drop that in one of the three holes in the top vent of the WSM to monitor the pit temp. You can use that probe occasionally or a second one to monitor the meat temp.

Use Apple wood chunks over chips, don't use too much wood. Or your meat will be bitter, that was a big issue for me early on (I'm still learning).

Follow these two recipes for getting started:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html

I recommend cooking baby backs for the ribs initially as they turn out great with the recipe above you can cook spares the same way just using a longer cooking time.

For the butts pull at 190 degrees and wrap in foil and place in a cooler till time to serve, then pull the pork.

For ribs you can test using the break method, pick them up under center and watch for a slight break in the top center of the bark.

Enjoy your new WSM.

Figured I would add this since no one brought it up but a fire extinguisher and carbon monoxide detector for your house. I have a friend who recently had a fire on her deck from her smoker and got burned pretty badly.

Back